• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cheap 14 bolt disk brakes

dodgecrawler2011

Have a idea in mind. Curious if anybody has done it with parts that already have. I have a early 90s 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton dodge. Have not done any measurements yet. Curious if i could use the rotors calipers and maybe modify or make new brackets?

Re:

No cheaper than running 2wd 8 lug rotors and 1/2 ton calipers. Like 40 bux per side. Plus cost of caliper brackets.

I run 2001 dodge 3500 dually 2wd. front 4 piston calipers and the rotors off the donor truck on my rear 14.

I made my own caliper brackets out of 5/16 plate.

If I did it all over again I'd spend $300 on nice clean GM disc brake conversion.

But answer to your question is yes you can and I did.

Re: Re: cheap 14 bolt disk brakes

Fire Freak said:
Oreily's is about the same
Rock auto is also, and with a 5% discount it can come out a few dollars cheaper, maybe.

I prefer to order online myself vs walk in store

Re: Re: cheap 14 bolt disk brakes

Prices have gone up some since I did mine a few yeas ago, I use advance auto, order online pick up in store. Go here and find a code and use it. I use trt41 and its good for 40 off. Sometimes you can find a code for 50 or 75 off 175 purchase.

http://m.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

Use the stamped steel caliper mounts off a front 10 bolt, calipers and discs. Slide the mounts over your axle, then put your hub ,disc and calipers with new pads on. Shoot a little compressed air in the caliper so it bites down on the disc and centers up, then tack your mounts to the axle. Make sure its all good and welder in.

cb4020 said:
Use the stamped steel caliper mounts off a front 10 bolt, calipers and discs. Slide the mounts over your axle, then put your hub ,disc and calipers with new pads on. Shoot a little compressed air in the caliper so it bites down on the disc and centers up, then tack your mounts to the axle. Make sure its all good and welder in.
exactly what i wanted to do except with dodge crap

when i used dodge rotors i had to have the center turn some to slide over the 14 bolt hub if you use 78 chevy rotors they slide right over the hub

Yeah I should add that the front rotors off the dodge don't fit exactly over the 14b hub. I didn't turn them down. I used some whl brng grease and 6 lug nuts and ran em up tight on the rotor. It pushed just enough material off the 14b hub then I removed em and cleaned up the surface and I was done.

Like I say though. At the time I built that axle it was a budget build. Like zero money. I'd buy a brake conversion complete if I could do it all over