• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chevy 383 efi help

superglock

I am building a new 383 engine for the jeep and looking for help efi.
Vortec block .030 over
Eagle crank
Powder rods 5.7
Speedpro hypertech pistons
balanced
Reground cam matching comp xfi260 cam
Edelbrock performer rpm manifold
Comp roller tip 1.52 rockers
Up graded springs on the heads with screw in studs and guide plates

I am woundering if I shound try running a modified tbi and if so what has been working for people. Whos parts and whos chips, I know about Howell and most others so I dont need a list of whos who, I am looking for what you are really using.

Thanks

I'm running a Holley Projection 900cfm TBI on a similar small block, works good but there is a pretty steep learning curve for tuning it. I also have a Dynamic efi ecm like this one http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php if your interested, it was too advanced for me but if your tech savvy this is a great fully programmable ecm.

You might look at a stock 454 tbi system. They're 670 cfm so I'm not sure if you'd run out of airflow at the higher rpms that you can get with the rollers. I have a Fast 900 cfm with a Howell prepped computer to run a roller 454. My 350's just use stock 590 cfm TBI with Howell programmed PROM's.

i run the holley commander 950 setup,tuned with laptop on a decently built 350,works great,i would call the howell guys,and do all the reading you can to decide of the GM TBI will be enough for the 383

You might look at a stock 454 tbi system. They're 670 cfm so I'm not sure if you'd run out of airflow at the higher rpms that you can get with the rollers. I have a Fast 900 cfm with a Howell prepped computer to run a roller 454. My 350's just use stock 590 cfm TBI with Howell programmed PROM's.

My AMC 401 runs a GM 454 TBI unit.
Both Howell Fuel Injection & Affordable Fuel Injection are good sources of parts, knowledge. I'm running the complete Howell system. Plug and play. Very easy. I do carry a spare fuel pump (and a couple sensors).
My Chevy 350 runs a complete stock 1987 GM system, all bone stock. It's got a relatively large cam profile, but it was designed for a EFI engine.
I don't really see a difference between the two engines, if anything, maybe the GM is slightly more powerful.

I run the EBL like mjp1080 posted. Buy it as it's the best system available!...BTW NEVER go through affordable EFI!!
Also food for thought a "stock" GM TBI system will only support a little under 400 HP.

Also food for thought a "stock" GM TBI system will only support a little under 400 HP.

The key to getting more power out of these systems is you need more than 2 injectors. I just so happen to have a LT-1 intake (no injectors) I could sell to you for the $50 I paid for it. I'll be up your way on the 21st too.....

After getting towed back to my trailer yesterday because of a BAD EFI fuel pump, I cant wait to wheel my new rig with PROPANE.

Why you guys type this?

I helped in a project to put TBI on a 289 in my brother's willys. We used AFI for the chip. It was several years ago so I don't remember all of the issues but it took at least 3 tries for AFI to send a chip that would even make the thing run. At least 1 of the chips was for the wrong ECM. It was a major headache dealing with AFI, and the chip issues delayed the project for weeks. The thing runs OK now, but still has throttle response issues below 3000 RPM. My brother gave up trying to get a better tune because AFI was so hard to deal with.

This is the kind of stuff I was woundering about, I wounder if a aftermarket system is any better? What are you running for a aftermarket set-up if any?
I have been looking at tbichips.com and talked with him a few times and he seems to know his stuff, Anyone use him?

I dont have the room for propane tanks so that is out.
I am running vortec heads and I dont think a lt-1 will work because of the intake bolt pattern.

This is the kind of stuff I was woundering about, I wounder if a aftermarket system is any better? What are you running for a aftermarket set-up if any?
I have been looking at tbichips.com and talked with him a few times and he seems to know his stuff, Anyone use him?

the holley commander system i run is fully tunable with a laptop,although it was quite a learning curve for me i got it figured out.downfall is the program only runs on windows 98 or newer,but not vista or windows 7...

I guess I will have to look at the AST system, I have looked at the Megasquirt and I dont know if I can deal with the laptop programing.