• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chevy 383 efi help

I guess I will have to look at the AST system, I have looked at the Megasquirt and I dont know if I can deal with the laptop programing.

If you can't deal with laptop programming then you've eliminated every system that would even be concidered useable. You have to program it or hire someone else to do it for you. There's no getting around this.

I have looked at that unit for a while, I like the idea but cant find enough good reviews to make me want to spend the money. Msd just came out with a new system that doesnt need a return, But being first with something new can be scarey. The fast system has a larger review base and seems mostly positive. The profesional products seems about 50/50, There is alot of complaints and custmer service.

I would highly recommend this system by Professional Products. Self learns, no programming needed, extremely simple to install. Looks like a Demon carb, computer and sensors are self contained (except the O2 sensor. Very nice setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-70026/

There's a long thread on Pirate discussing this sytem. Long story short it doesn't "learn". None of them do!.....When people read "it learns" they think the system will tune itself which is far from the truth.

Some good information on their site. I havent personally used it yet, but the one guy I talk to that does have it loves it. All he did was install it. No programming. Truck runs awesome. There is some info, and a couple SEMA "sell videos". There are a lot of systems out there. This one is deffinitely less complicated than most at the least.

http://www.professional-products.com/EFI_3.php

:cool:
I'm not saying it's a bad system just that the "learn" function can be misleading.

I have read that you have to get it very close and then the self learn will do alittle.
I was hoping a group would have real world experance with some of these and chim in.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

I have read that you have to get it very close and then the self learn will do alittle.

Yes but there's more to it then that. The whole learn thing is a function of the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor (typical narrow band) can only read a stoich or neutral mixture. What it does is trim the main fueling map which is the map that should be stoich. This part of the equasion usually works fine.....Now for the rest of the system. Artificial enrichment, power enrichment, the whole damn ignition system all have to be done by hand. These are the systems which equate to the power valve and accelerator pump in a carb.
Now there is a tool called a wide band O2 sensor which can read other air/ fuel ratios. Great tool! The thing is even with a wide band you still have to know what ratio you're trying to achieve for the different fuel maps. This will vary greatly from engine to engine.

In a nutshell this is the reason these sytems don't "learn" like some people like to think they do. This is typical of every electronic fuel injection system on planet earth to the best of my knowledge.

I would recommend a system with a PROM chip. This chip can be reprogrammed to the fuel map that works for your truck. If one of these other systems get it wrong, the whole throttle body would have to be sent back for reprogramming as I assume the computer is attached. I would also get a system that has an OBD port for a scan tool or some other interface so you can capture live data. These two things make it much easier to deal with problems.