• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Choosing converter!

jasonj57

So I got a 99 Z71 that I flipped over on it's side and then I decided to make a truggy out of it. I kept the 5.3 bought a th350 for it and before i slapped it in was wondering which route to go as far as torque converters. Go with a bigger stall? Or stay with stock? Not doing anything to the engine besides maybe headers and getting my ecu sent off and flashed and tuned up some. Was hoping for some input since this will be the first time I've done anything like this.

jasonj57 said:
So I got a 99 Z71 that I flipped over on it's side and then I decided to make a truggy out of it. I kept the 5.3 bought a th350 for it and before i slapped it in was wondering which route to go as far as torque converters. Go with a bigger stall? Or stay with stock? Not doing anything to the engine besides maybe headers and getting my ecu sent off and flashed and tuned up some. Was hoping for some input since this will be the first time I've done anything like this.

In a light weight race car, LS motors LOVE a big convertor (3200-3600) on a stock motor, but in a mild rig I don't really see a big advantage. If you want a little more stall on the cheap with stock displacement and cam, a convertor out of a 4.2 trailblazer is the way yo go

not sure if that converter will actually work with the TH350, but if it would it seems like it would be a decent upgrade over a stock converter. I am researching for a converter for my rig as well and came across that TC quite a few times....but my trans is the 4L60E from my S10, so it might not work....

Brian

1TONZR2 said:
not sure if that converter will actually work with the TH350, but if it would it seems like it would be a decent upgrade over a stock converter. I am researching for a converter for my rig as well and came across that TC quite a few times....but my trans is the 4L60E from my S10, so it might not work....

Brian

Sorry yall I didn't read! So used to a ls/4l60e combo I didn't even pay attention

I took my 4L60E out and opted for the 350 cause I figured it would hold up a little better cause I've replaced that 4L60 bout three times just driving on the street!

Tire size will be from 37's to 40's I haven't really decided yet and I was gonna go with a 205 t case and cucv axles so it'll be 4.56 gears. Not sure quite yet on the vehicle weight either it's an ex cab Z71 it'll have no bed, be gutted, and have a little tube work so it wont just demolish the cab if I roll it over

I've hooked some friends up with a (advertised)3000 stall 10" converter that works really good behind ol'school 5.7 &LS6.0's with 38.5 and 4.56 about 5000lbs. If your heavier then that I would think about drop down the advertised stall to maybe a 2400to2600. With the any added weight over 5g may make a 3000 flash pass the power band in a stock LS. dunno fur sure just my 2$.

Latest posts