• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chop saw blades

you can buy a lot of abrasive blades for that:rolleyes: I have used such blades in the past and I prefer abrasive for their predictibility and the fact that you can use the side as a grinder after the cut. The upside of the toothed blade is they cut aluminum nice.

pokey said:
I have used such blades in the past and I prefer abrasive for their predictibility
Eh? What? I was assuming these blades would cut straighter than abrasive, due to their rigidity... I mean they couldn't cut much more crooked... What do you mean by "predictibility"?

And how about noise? I'm thinking these things are loud as fawk?

CrustyJeep said:
Eh? What? I was assuming these blades would cut straighter than abrasive, due to their rigidity... I mean they couldn't cut much more crooked... What do you mean by "predictibility"?

And how about noise? I'm thinking these things are loud as fawk?

Think about how those teeth would and do grab:mad: better have a damn good grip on your material and yes their loud.

pokey said:
Think about how those teeth would and do grab:mad:
I was worried about that too, actually... Had it happen then? Did the blade explode or get destroyed or whatever? Sounds... Scary!

Wait, you didn't think I was talking about using it in a wood cutting chop saw did you (hence the comment about holding onto the material tight)? I'd be putting it on a METAL chop saw........

If you put one of those in a chop saw desined to use abrasive disks it will last for maby 2 cuts. The dry cut saws that those are desined for spin at about half the RPM of a abrasive chop saw, carbide would fly. They cut great, in the right saw. Yes they are loud and you have to clamp the material tightley, but so what? That's why the clamps there and they make these things called "ear plugs" the blade does still deflect, but not as bad as abrasive blades do. For a home shop/garage I would say abrasive is beter:D

I've never tried one but I don't think I want to. I always just hold the work piece. I don't know how many times I've got my hand with the abrasive blade, If I did this with a toothed blade I would look like Crusty by now.:redneck:

Looks similar to what's in my Dewalt saw. Cuts thin wall stuff like butter but you gotta be careful on thicker stuff because it's easy to overheat the carbides. Best part, NO SPARKS OR DUST. I'll take that over a teensy little bit more noise any day. The only thing better is a cold saw...

Richard said:
abrasive blades only cost me $5.00 for a 3 pack
Cheap, for sure. But they don't cut very straight. Sometimes you really want a square cut, and I don't really have room for a band saw.

Now, the reason I posted this, is that I *think* those blades are actually designed to run at the higher abrasive type speeds. There is a new Lenox blade that IS designed for the higher speed, but it's pretty spendy... Hmm I just realized, I didn't exactly verify the speed thing, but anyway...

http://www.lenoxsaw.com/circsaw.htm

Binder said:
If I did this with a toothed blade I would look like Crusty by now.:redneck:
Naw, you just can't get these kind of good looks from playing with a chop saw :flipoff:

Dewalt makes a low rpm chop saw that uses the steel blades. Looked at one at Centeral Welding a few weeks back. They said they are well worth the investment if you are doing a ton of fab. May not necessarily be needed for at home use, especially if you have people using/borrowing your tools since the blades are not cheap

Toyotanut said:
Dewalt makes a low rpm chop saw that uses the steel blades. Looked at one at Centeral Welding a few weeks back. They said they are well worth the investment if you are doing a ton of fab. May not necessarily be needed for at home use, especially if you have people using/borrowing your tools since the blades are not cheap
Uh, dude..... I linked to it above. :flipoff: .....er, oops, I linked the blade. my bad. Here it is.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=159

Mine needs a new blade finally though, it's miffing a few teefh now and most of the carbides are shot. :wtf: :haha: :haha: