• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CJ/DJ Axle Swaps

ZedMikey

This thread is to stop Junkyard Jim and I from further hijacking Pat's thread in the Classifieds...

Complete Dana 30 front axle from a 94 YJ, 4.10 gears. The Dana 35 rear on the right in the picture is gone, just the dana 30 front on the left in the picture is for sale. $300 steering, brakes, CAD unit all included.

Too bad it's a CAD. Don't suppose it would bolt directly into a '75 DJ? (2wd version of the CJ used by post office)

Thats a good question. What does bolt in a 2wd DJ? Wouldn't there be fabricating required to put any 4wd axle in the front of it? Because the cad unit can be posi-locked or TJ one piece shafts...

The DJ 2wd axle looks the same as a CJ 4wd one (I've swapped Cherokee and Comanche front axles from 2wd to 4wd and the other way too) Just unsure what years will interchange yet.

The spring perch width is different between CJ/DJ models and YJs. You'd have to outboard the front springs or monkey with the perches on the axle.

Don't quote me on this, but I think all years of CJ/DJ have the same perch width. You'd probably do well with a late CJ wide track front if you're looking for that width.

Did the late model CJs change wheel pattern? Or still the same 5 on 5.5? My rear axle is WAAAAY too low geared for daily driving (I was told 5.13 geared. It has the Audi 2.0L motor and hauled 1,000 lbs of ice cream plus a freezer and the fat ass driver no prob)

CJs were 5 on 5.5 up to the end...

5.13 gears in that thing? Is it the stock axle and gears? Seems awfully low for a stock '75. Narrow track Dana 44? I figured they'd use the AMC20 in '75...

Last edited:
Postals (DJ) got a 44 all the way through their run. Never used the AMC 20. Marginally narrower than a wide track CJ. A CJ D30 will bolt right in to a postal. You can use the knuckle from the 2WD DJ axle on the D30 if it's still right hand drive. A 25/27 will also work but you'll have to get creative with steering if it's still RHD. The CJ axle will also likely hit the engine crossmember so be prepared to modify it. When I helped a friend convert his we used a D27 (what we had) and added a square tube crossmember under the radiator and then cut up the engine crossmember and built new mounts for the Isuzu diesel that was swapped in. You can use off the shelf CJ springs in the front (I don't remember the years) and Gitt spring in Auburn used to build a lift spring for the rear outboard postal setup.

And I thought my '77s (to be included with the '76 model year) were the bastard child CJs... at least there's little question as to the drivetrain components in a '77.

I have yet to crawl under mine enough to tell what axle or gears it is. IIRC, either mine or my son's is D44.
My '79 DJ has the Audi 2.0L engine (same used in Porsche 924 turbos and I found a pair of those for $500 that I'd grab if I had the $$$) with a 904 auto.

My son's '75 rig has either a 232 or 258 (haven't scrubbed the grease off enough to tell) that had a Borg Warner auto in it. He plans to put the front/rear axles and motor from his GF's '85 XJ (2.5L AMC/5 speed/NP231)

Motor mounts might be fun. Did they ever put the AMC 4 in CJs or DJs?

I'm not sure....Is the cherokee motor different from the iron duke that came in CJ's? The Iron duke was a 2.5 chevy motor I think....I haven't spent much time with the 4 cylinder motors.... We did pull an audi 4 from a postal and put a Isuzu 2.2L diesel in its place from a 4x4 PUP. We had to cut the middle out of the engine crossmember (for front diff clearance) and then built mounts from the isuzu motor that bolted to what was left of the old crossmember mounts. Had to add in a crossmember under the radiator to take the place of the engine xmember we removed. It really shouldn't be that difficult to do.

I know that '80 to '83 got the dookie. It should be fun to buzz around with this thing and save some gas. (once I get the O/D trans put in)

It has the D44 in it. Not sure the ratio (couldn't read the tag) but it has Powerlok! <G>

And some people refer to the 75 as the bastard child jeep......:haha: The 76 was even more so... I know a 76 that came with a 20 so.....

We've got a customer at work that's owned his 1981 CJ since new, and it's also got a Model 20....

It should....77-85 should have all come from the factory with a 20.... 76...Who knows? 86... most have a 44 again. As far as I know the postals all had a 44 in back.