• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CJ5- Shortest transmission

Jeepasaurusrex

CJ5- Shortest transmission-UPDATED

A friend of mine is buying a older CJ5 that has the original Buick V6 in it. He is buying the Jeep with a Vortec V8 out of a Tahoe he wants to swap in. The Jeep already has a 4" lift. What would be the shortest manual transmission and shortest auto he could put in it? He wants both options before making a decision. I'm thinking SM420 for the manual. Thoughts? :corn:

Last edited:
T90 is only 8" long but it's a 3 speed. Put that with a 18 case with a overdrive and it'd be fine to drive but the V8 would blow that **** all over the place if wheeled very hard.

the 420 is a good choice with the chevy (easy bolt up). if it still has a offset rearend then use a model 18 TC or a 20 if its a center screw rear. there are several 3 speeds as well such as the t-150 (personal choice for 3 speeds) and the t-15 both came behind v-8s and can take the power

No clue on autos, but I'll weigh in on the SM420.

I wish I had an SM465 instead. If the extra couple inches makes that big of a difference for the driveline angles/length, I'd seriously consider moving the rear axle back to accommodate.

T18 is going to be shorter than the SM420 once you add in the length of the
t-case adapter. T18 to D20 or D18 adapter is only 1" thick.

Yea, I forgot about the T-18. That's what I have in my CJ.

It has the offset Dana 44 to match the Model 18 T-case.

Maybe someone on here recognizes this Jeep. :redneck:

Last edited:
Just sounding in on the t18 there was three size designs They all have to do with the center gear pin. The t18 that came stock behind a v-8 will have a 1.25 inch center shaft you can measure where it sticks out of the case. The other two designs were a smaller center shaft I belive 1" and 7/8". The 1.25 design held up in heavy v-8 scouts

Just sounding in on the t18 there was three size designs They all have to do with the center gear pin. The t18 that came stock behind a v-8 will have a 1.25 inch center shaft you can measure where it sticks out of the case. The other two designs were a smaller center shaft I belive 1" and 7/8". The 1.25 design held up in heavy v-8 scouts

You are talking about Dana/Spicer 18 transfer case intermediate shaft sizes, not the T-18 transmission.

Hi All:

Which three-speed transmission came in those AMC CJ-7s with the 304 V-8 from the factory?

I thought a T-18 was a four-speed transmission?

Sorry, Land Cruiser guy here! :D

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Which three-speed transmission came in those AMC CJ-7s with the 304 V-8 from the factory?

Regards,

Alan

Yes cj5's from 72-79 (I believe) came with the T18 as an option. Most of them were 4:1 ratio. In my CJ5 I have a 79 T-18 from a cj5 with a 258 and it had a 6:32:1 first gear. If you want it for gearing look for the Ford T-18 and most of them have the 6:32 first gear. I believe you want a 7" stickout input shaft for most cj conversions. You can still buy new input shafts if you need the short one (which you will in a CJ5). :beer:

Hi All:

Regards,

Alan

T-14 , T-15, T-150 (76-79) the T-150 is the only one with full synchros (sp)

OK, here is the updated info.

The engine were looking at swapping in is a 5.3L V8 from a 2001 Tahoe. He picked it up with the Jeep for $1000. He is considering going with a automatic. Which auto would be best behind this motor (computer controlled)? I know the 4L60E came behind this engine. Can this engine be ran, with the computer re-flashed as having a manual tranny, and run a TH350? Im trying to convince him to run a Dana 300 T-case and upgrade the axles at the same time. I looked at it closer today and discovered it has a Dana 44 rear with 2pc axles. :puke:

The rear drive line is long enough to accommodate a automatic. The jeep has a mild lift (2" I believe). I am going to look up the part number of the springs when I get it.

We're looking at the Novak engine mount kit, as well as the Painless Wiring engine kit.

Any more thoughts?