• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clean "Orvis" Cherokee, getting cut

Free tubing is the best kind right?

The scrap metal guy for my work was switching bins, the bin he was bringing had pieces of tubing sticking out of it. Asked him what was the deal with the tubing, he said the last stop just kind of threw it in and it wasn't on the books and I could take it so he wouldn't have to figure out how to strap it down.

Looked in the bin, it appears to be an exo someone cut off a Cherokee or something similar. Still has liscense plate on it.

got about 50ft of good useable hrew 1.75" tubing .120 wall.

definitely enough to build the bumpers and sliders out of.

:D

:awesomework:

The 33" s fit, slight rub when full flexed on inner fender near coil and on lower link and swaybar.

Going to install 1.75" spacers on coils and call it good.

Oh and these tires have the deepest tread I've ever seen, 27/32nds.

Pics coming

I gotta say the np249 is one of worst tcases I've ever seen.

It was bad enough that it has a coupler, then when disassembling to remind the input gear found the one piece tailhousing and annoying ring....

Anyways picked a np242 up on Saturday, and swapped out the 249, took all day because the bonehead who rebuilt the trans rounded off the tcase nuts.

Also grabbed control arms from a zj for more tire clearance but didn't have enough time to install those after fighting the tcase swap.

Took it to elbe this morning with my brother and a father son duo in a tj.

Other than kissing a door and massaging rockers, it made it through mainline and gotcha trouble free.

Slacked on wheeling pis though.

Next is sliders, bumpers, and a front locker.

242 is so much better than the turd 49. There was a bunch of guys taking parts (gears and chain) from the 249s because they were wider and stronger to put in the 242.

I'm sending the '93 Grand Cherokee I'm parting to the crusher soon if you need any spare body parts. (Driver's door is gone and the rear hatch is spoken for by my son. Left fender is all that's left of the front clip) The AW4/242 from it is going into my Jeep Honcho and the 4.0 is going to be a core for a later project.

Are you running a low pinion front still?

Yes still has low pinion front, that's on the list of future upgrades, along with 8.8 or d44 rear

Last edited:
Almost done with sliders, went a little different than most Cherokees, used the free 2" round tube. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Now I'm debating myself over winch choices. Warn 8274 or a standard lower profile winch.

The winch will be mounted feet forward whichever one I get, question is whether the big warn will block too much of the radiator or not. Seen a couple on Craigslist for good prices and if I do choose the big warn will run only 75ft of cable to save some weight and get stronger pulls due to less wraps on drum.

The low profile winch style only advantage seems to be how compact they are. II never pulled cable for myself with the yj buggy but with this grand I expect to be pulling it a few times.

Thoughts?

unless you rearrange the front, i think the 8274 would stick out too far and yes, block too much radiator. these cherocars get hot. id go with a standard warn 9k or whatever. try to keep it tucked in close, cut the grill around it.
not sure if you put a steering cooler on it yet, but a junkyard zj trans cooler with stock bracket bolts up easily next to your trans cooler if you have one. a must have with anything over 31s imo. it will get hot tho, might notice coolant temp a lil higher as is pulls warmer air through the radiator, and from behind your upright winch plate also,

Replacing info center module thing that only tells me when a door is open

Oh and photobucket has gone to complete crap with pop-up ads....

Last edited:
Got a front locker from Lokka, gotta keep this Cherokee cheap lol. Got it installed before the rain hit.

Now working on wiring rock lights, hids, air compressor, and ham radio.

Attachments

• noscript+adblock ftw.jpg
    noscript+adblock ftw.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 185

Finally got bumper finished, got a 9.5smitty on an early black Friday for 250 to my door couldn't pass it up.

Winch is mounted feet forward, flipped, with the gearbox rotated to access the freespool lever

So I've taken it on two trips to elbe it does well, I'm loving the v8 for instant wheelspeed when needed.

I let a friend drive it for a bit on last trip(he's new to offroading), he managed to only bust out a tail light lol. Then I let his 14yr old son drive it and he managed to get it stuck on random branches but no damage lol.

It may be a little too low though, the first trip it did better but only had two people in the jeep and no spare, the second trip had 5 people and a spare plus the winch/bumper.

We got hung up on the center skid a lot during last trip. Enough that the center skid plate is destroyed.

Considering doing a 4" spring lift and removing the 2" spacers.