• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Climbing Thread

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
Climbing: is the activity of using one's hands and feet (or indeed any other part of the body) to ascend a steep object. It is done both for recreation (to reach an inaccessible place, or for its own enjoyment) and professionally, as part of activities such as maintenance of a structure, or military operations.

I went climbing last night with my girlfrien, my co-worker and his wife. They taught us the basics of top-roping and did some bouldering action. Lots of fun!:awesomework:

Who else climbs?
Stories? Pics?
:corn:

EDIT: I think I found another sport to spend money on and detract attention from the truck. :awesomework:

Have been climbing for about 20 years, was an instructor and a guide for a number of years. Don't do as much now because of other hobbies/activities but still go out on occasion, at least a couple big climbing trips each year.

Boonie, Did you go climbing in one of the indoor gyms? My wife and I used to climb inside in the winter to stay in shape, but haven't been since we moved to Seattle.
Here are a couple pics to remind you of times it's not raining and blowing 30.

South Dakota

Moab

My wife in Idaho

Boonie, Did you go climbing in one of the indoor gyms?

Ya, we went to Vertical World in Redmond. It's maybe 2 miles from me. :awesomework: It was fun, the bouldering was a lot higher than i expected. By my last attempt at a climb i was so gassed, my arms were done! (I was told to use my legs more but my brain wasn't letting me :redneck:) I was just trying to cling on like a kitten to a curtain. :haha:I did a couple 5.7 routes and I'm not sure what the bouldering routes were, they had points on them from a comp, I tried to find out what the scoring was but couldn't, they were scored like 1700 and 1800pts(the ones i did) all the way up to 4800 and 5300. I dunno!:confused: I imagine the ones i did were V2's.....:eeek:

BTW, keep the pics coming! I love seeing what people have done! :cool::awesomework:

Last edited:
We have a new out door climbing wall here in NB. It's AWSOME! I climbed the one in Redmond years ago and I find this one more enjoyable. It's a BIG square arch with a couple bolted routes. It would be a long fall if you free climbed to the top and fell. Obviously real rocks are more fun, but the ones out here have a line you need to wait in to get on and then you have people waiting for you to finish which sucks. Lines in the woods, WTF? Not even worth going on the weekends. Not too many people are even aware of the new park yet so a lot of times I've been the only one there. :awesomework:

in relation to 'real rocks' -- how high is high enough? 40ft, 60ft, 100ft?

I'm thinking I might need to go take some measurements ;-)

beats me. If it's too far to fall from then I figure thats probably high enough. The bolted routes around here are mostly less than 100'. atleast the ones that I've done. I'm still a novice

To fall?! You can fall in a bathtub and wreck yourself, soooo I would say don't go any higher than a bathtub! :redneck::haha: The gym bouldering problems are what?!, 15-20ft off the ground (to the top hold) and they usually have padded floors and/or crash pads...

Spent all day at about 80ft and above, took out the tops of a big tree kinda like a cottonwood but not. Ate lunch at over 100 ft. Heck with rocks, trees move!

Last edited:
F'n funny

Holy **** I had tears rollin down my face:haha:
Edit* Stolen off Pirate Chat
http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/boogie_til_you_poop_a_horrific_and_hilarious_climbing_experience/

Guess I missed this thread.....meh. Started climbing in 1980,climbed "hard" through '90.....climbed casually through the '90s. Took my wife out a couple years ago and after much TLC shes pretty hooked:011: All we do is 5.7 to 5.9.....mostly trad. Climbs I never even considered 20 years ago are all I scour the guide books for ie......quality 5.7's. We've been out a fair bit this summer. Heading up to Squamish @ the end of the month.

Funny side story. Heather and I were over climbing in Icicle creek....we couldn't find my guide book before leaving the house so we bought the newest one in Leavenworth. That night,in camp, I was thumbing through the guide book while enjoying cocktails and dinner...............and there I was,on page 97, sitting on top of April Fools Tower:haha: Eric,the guy who took the pic, was one of my main partners in the mid 80's. We shared many a Cascade epic:puke::D:cool: