• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

coil springs?

braggf150

starting a new jeep based crawler for my brother in law it will be four linked with coil springs. that being said ive noticed some people running coilover springs lately. are these beter than the tj/xj coil springs. we will be running the brackets that lock the spring on both ends from ballistic or blue torch or sombody like them looking for input from people that know before we buy the wrong stuff

braggf150 said:
ive noticed some people running coilover springs lately. are these beter than the tj/xj coil springs.

Well, they are a lot easier to package, plus you can get what ever lengths and spring rates you want.

Better? Yes.

Cheaper? No. (most of the time you can get Jeep coils for damn near free from people building rigs, or even from the junk yard)

EDITED for clarity

i think you think im talking about coilovers i was just talking about coil over springs like zukiscotts buddy is doing on his jeep

NO.......TBI understands you fully :dblthumb:

Those ARE springs for coilover shocks, Drew is gonna try 450 pounders under the rear of the CJ 7 first, and see how they work out :dblthumb:

Im sorry the tunable part threw me off I've never heard of tuning a coil spring I need all the info on this I can get please keep it coming thanks zukiscott for all those pics helping me out alot

I think what they are talking about (tuning). Is that you can get different spring rates and different rebound rates instead of being stuck with a factory spring.

I have the back of my Sami based buggy setup this way. The good thing with using them is you can find the calculators online to figure out how far your coils will compress (if you can work out your sprung weight per end of rig).

It's also nice because when you go to coilovers you cant use your jeep coils on em, but you can reuse your coilover springs.

That is a great point I never thought about that. So you basicly set it up just like you would with coilovers

Yea just put the rig up on jacks ,snatch out one set of coils, pop in another set, and GO RIDE :dblthumb:

HELL , you could even swap out different rate / heigth coils for different wheeling / race conditions :dblthumb:

;D

TBItoy said:
450 lb/in seems REALLY stiff, especially in the rear...

I have a full size spare tire and a 22gal. fuel cell not to mention other odds and ends. 450lbs seems o.k. for mine and it doesn't act like a slinky at speed or around a corner. I drove it to the mud bog and it is a little stiff if you jump a rail road track going 50mph. Not anything I can't live with. It also depends on the shocks you are going to use.

Man I bet there is stuff in the back of that Jeep that YOU don,t even know is there :****:

BUT,,,,,,,,,all that "STUFF" back there has saved ALL of our bacon SEVERAL TIMES ;D

SO LEAVE IT AND RUN THE STIFFER COILS.

Is that the same as these :dunno:

DREWSJEEP6066.jpg

DREWSJEEP6068.jpg

Anybody got a pic of this setup? I have stock tj springs & they bottom out on steep climbs & some rough bumps. I hate to go all out with coilovers & this seems like a pretty good option.

Thanks. So it looks like you just mounted them up to the bluetorch coil buckets like I already have.