• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilovers not sitting in the lower retainers

What would help the front flex with the deaver coils and extended arms i have now?

Should i increase the spring rate of the coilovers?

Or a sway bar in the rear.

Btw, I'd also rotate your lower shock mount on the rear axle 90 deg. I can see the end binding and your shock shaft flexing in that shot over the rocks. That probably would have snapped a higher end shock.

While i totally agree that 20" shocks are LUDAcris, i don't really see what's so bad about having a flexier rear than front, isn't that pretty similar to having a 4-linked rear with leafsprings in the front? works good for a lot of people and you usually don't need a sway bar with that setup.

Also, If you don't want to spend money on adding tender springs on your shocks you can do the 2-3 inches of preload (Zero preload is the top nut snug on the springs fully extended) and if it's not too much trouble then just raise your upper shock mounts to get your ride height back where you want it.

Basically the happy medium you are looking for is to have 2" of preload on your springs and to have the right amount of shock shaft showing at ride height to match your uptravel. If those two things match up then your spring rate is probably about right.

Here's Wayne's guidelines for springs-

lower spring 2" longer then shocl travel.
upper spring same as shock travel
try to keep the upper and lower springs within 100# of each other

2" to 3" of preload in the front.
2" of preload in the rear

your springs are too light if you have to use more preload to get ride height. and too heavy if you use less."

and NO i am not a shock expert, but i did read the ZukIzzy coilover thread on Pirate4x4 while staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I agree with most of that last post BUT, with 20" springs you will need a lot more preload of the springs . I say this because most likely you will have a lot more drop out due to the 20" coilover versus a shorter day 14". I have tender coils on mine and they do help keep it all in line but you still have the occasional pop. I wish I had a bunch of different springs to play with on mine.Its hard to say what is actually better because most people usually pick springs and make little changes to get a happy medium not ever trying major changes. Shorter heavier springs versus a lot longer really light springs.

I am using about 4" of preload now ( was at 2") i went out last weekend without any springs popping out. maybe this is where it should have been.

Now i just need to figure out what to add to the front to help it flex and transfer the load to the front suspension

I did get good / enough drop out of the front when it was leaves in the rear.

This is when i first flex tested a few years ago

imag0207.jpg

imag0200.jpg

I weighed the truck this weekend.

The truck weighs
Total - 6200lbs
Front - 3600
Rear - 2800

Corner Weights - Front is 1800 each
Rear is 1400 each

What size spring rates would you recommend, should i use for the rear 20" travel coilovers?
I was sent 100/200

Use a spring rate calculator on one of the shock websites for the front and the rear. Try your best to understand the weights and geometry it is asking for and enter the different variables into each field.

Latest posts