coilovers

ill get you some measurements here shortly

4" in front, 6" in rear. belly height of 20.5"

DOUBLE CHECKED SPRING RATES AND FRONTS ARE 150/200 rear are 100/150

1" preload on front and 3" preload on rear

Update in case anyone cares:

150/250 fronts with 3/4" preload. 5.5" of shaft showing

100/200 rear with 1" preload. 7.5" of shaft showing

I have a 3/4" difference from front body mount to rear. (rear squats some)

25.5" belly

This winter will probably redo rear mounts to get in the 5"-6" of uptravel range. Will see how it does Saturday. Gotta be better than when it was 350/350!!

Thanks to CJ at EOR. Treated my $600 purchase just like it was $6,000 purchase. Wish we had an offroad shop half that good in my area.

Also, thanks to TacomaJD. He sent me pics and had TONS of knowledge!

rpf500 said:
Also, thanks to TacomaJD. He sent me pics and had TONS of knowledge!

Pshhh, don't be tellin' lies! Lol glad you got it sittin' better! Maybe it'll do good enough so you can enjoy wheeling it for a while then redo the upper mounts one day later when you can make time.

I have completley quit price shopping or picking peoples brains for knowledge. If I need something or have a question I call Cj. If he cant handle it or figure out what I need he calls me back after talking to Jimmy. Best in the buisness by far.

I would be curious to see a before video of it in action and a after video just to see how much difference it made.

Elliott said:
I would be curious to see a before video of it in action and a after video just to see how much difference it made.

Unfortunately, I have no videos of it with the old set up. only wheeled it 4 times like that. I will try to get some vids tomm. I don't think it will be anything crazy compared to other similiar rigs, but I do think (hope) it will be night and day different wheeling. Not going to our local spot tomm so it will be hard to compare on the same trail. But, I think it will be easy to tell if this made a difference. I have to believe with such drastic rate changes, this will be a different rig.

It did well Saturday. Definitely a much smoother ride. I am still irritated by it sitting lower in the rear, so I will have to address that sooner than I thought. I am thinking that I may try to back my preload off to only 1/2" in the front. That would lower me just a little but it would make it more level too. I am holding off totally finishing off the back until I add some comp cut corners. (will be on order by end of the day). My current set up has some "exo-cage" looking bar over the rear tires and I am loosing about 3" of up-travel the best I can tell. SO, don't want to finish bumps and limit straps until that is done.

Anyway it felt very stable. Did some pretty crazy side hill stuff and never lifted a tire. I was going to change my dual rate stop rings half way through the day and forgot about it. I have them at 1" above the slider now. I was going to take them to 1/2".

This was a fundraiser ride I attended so there were about 300+ rigs there. After looking at some of them I decided I needed mine to be even lower. So, who knows what I will do with it. May redo the whole damn thing this winter. I also saw some other YJ's and TJ's that had identical springs rates to mine and some within 50#'s. So, again, TacomaJD and EOR definitely sent me in the right direction!!!

Overall, very happy with it. A few tweaks here and there and I think it will be very, very nice.

Oh, and the wheel hop that I had before on big climbs is gone now. No surprise really on that. Went from 700#'s on each front corner to 400#.

Re:

Glad you can at least wheel it and be somewhat satisfied with it til you get time to redo some of the things. Mash Yer Motor!

rpf500 said:
It did well Saturday. Definitely a much smoother ride. I am still irritated by it sitting lower in the rear, so I will have to address that sooner than I thought. I am thinking that I may try to back my preload off to only 1/2" in the front. That would lower me just a little but it would make it more level too.

-1/2 preload in the front, add a little preload in the back or maybe even add more n02 to the resi's should level it up without being too stiff till you get the fab work done.

RustyC said:
-1/2 preload in the front, add a little preload in the back or maybe even add more n02 to the resi's should level it up without being too stiff till you get the fab work done.

Good thought. Thanks for that. I will see what I can come up with.

Bringing this back up for a few thoughts from you guys......

I added my comp corners and wanted to address bump stops and limit straps. Before I did that though, I broke down and started changing the rear mounts. The rear having 8" of shaft showing at ride height kept pissing me off so I moved my upper mounts down.

Now, I have 7.5" of shaft but that is with ZERO preload so once I preload, I am back to where I started at 8" of shaft basically. I have 100/200 springs now on the rear.

Do I get a lower rate upper or lower rate lower coil to help drop the rear down more?

I am still trying to learn how each change I make effects something else so work with my ignorance please. I have a message in with EOR but they stay busy and take time to get back to you sometimes. Hopefully by the time I do get a hold of them to order what I need, I will know WHAT to order. thumb.gif

I would go with a lower rate lower.

Maybe 150 or 100.

200 in/lb seems stiff for the rear of a rig.

I have ran jeep front coils in the rear of a couple rigs that were 100-120 in/lb rate and the seemed a little stiff.

TBItoy said:
I would go with a lower rate lower.

Maybe 150 or 100.

200 in/lb seems stiff for the rear of a rig.

I have ran jeep front coils in the rear of a couple rigs that were 100-120 in/lb rate and the seemed a little stiff.

Thanks for the reply. When this all started I had 250/350 in the rear. :****: Don't know who set it up that way but it was a SKY HIGH rig for sure.

TacomaJD said:
I bet a 150 lower spring would get you down in the 5" of shaft showing range with only a tid bit of preload. :dblthumb:

That's what I was hoping to hear!! I didn't know how much a difference 50#'s would make. Now, if I can get a hold of EOR then I will be all set.

Thanks again guys for all the help. I will report back when I have it "fixed"

I went from 100/200 with way too much preload and still sitting too low in the front, to 150/200 with very little preload and sitting level. 50# makes a noticeable difference.

TacomaJD said:
I went from 100/200 with way too much preload and still sitting too low in the front, to 150/200 with very little preload and sitting level. 50# makes a noticeable difference.

So what is the difference in effect from changing 50#'s on the upper vs the lower?

rpf500 said:
So what is the difference in effect from changing 50#'s on the upper vs the lower?

I don't think it's any difference at all looking at it like that. You have two springs, but together they combine to make a single solitary overall spring rate. Nick knows the equation to calculate that, I can never remember it, but it's simple. With already having a 100# upper, you don't want to lighten it up anymore. At this point, you want to start reducing the lower heavy coil's rate.

Makes sense. Just trying to get it all figured out. I see PAC makes a 125" as well in 16" length. The part that bothers me the most is the "guessing" game. I have so little patience and hate my rig being down. I need to get over it I guess and just calm down.

No answer from EOR still. Like usual, I wanted these tomorrow so I could install over the weekend. Guess I will try them again in the A.M and go from there.