• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coils for the front of a Zuk?

TrikeKid

I'm thinking really hard about doing a radius arm setup on my Samurai. On paper it's looking like I'll get a better operating suspension, better approach angle and have to do less frame surgery for not a ton more money than the leaf stretch I'm looking at doing now. MUCH better approach angle as well.

Arms are gonna be 2x2x.250, I've got 4 YJ bushings to put in some tube for the axle end mounts, thinking TG Creeper Joints and adapters at the frame end. I know where I can come up with a front swing steering box for a reasonable price. Already have 12" travel RS9000XL's that are fairly new as well. Panhard construction I haven't fully decided on yet, but I have a big rig or two to steal parts off of, and the tie rods are pretty beef, probably just cut one of those up.

Where I'm kinda stumped is what coil to use. The rig is an 88 Sami, Toyota running gear (22RE/W56/Single case, Toy axles) and 35's for now, want to step to a 37 or 38 in the future. Toyota rears in the back right now. 95" wheelbase. What would be some coils to consider keeping in mind that this is a budget build?

Here's a pic at about my planned ride height, it was about an inch lower than this off the stands with YJ's in front and the Toyota springs

frontstretch.png

Last edited:
stock front cherokee coils, theyre cheap, easy to find, and have the best spring rate of a stock coil. i have them all the way around on my sammy. i captured them at both ends and have only broken one. and i could have found a spring easily at reiter. i broke it there and was offered one from a local for free.

stock tj , down side is they are a big dia, tough to fit.
comon is 14" afco coils, usaly 150's

The diameter shouldn't be much of an issue, I've got ~ 10" between the tire and frame rail now, should be more when I swap wheels. The AFCO's just seem a little short to me, and then there's the cost factor.

I was thinking TJ's or XJ's based on just that, cheap/free to get, if I kill one boo hoo, the most expensive I've seen for an XJ coil was $25. Thanks for the help guys, I started cutting all the leaf spring stuff off yesterday so i guess I'm committed now.

Here's some info:awesomework:

Just so you don't have to read all that ****, looks like they are about 5" to 5.25" in diameter, and about .4" to .6" thick

Last edited: