• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Colej ejecashun

I had a sad, sad thought the other day- I'm 30 years from retirement age. I've seen guys in my line of work at 65, they're crippled up and can't move, and I don't think I want that for myself.
Looking to go back to school, I'm at the point where I really don't care what for. I need advice on what career path will put me in the 55k+ range, not be one of 700 applicants in the office trying to get a job, but most of all, I just want to work 40 ****ing hours and go home. OT is for the birds.

What I'd like to do (feel free to step in and tell me how bad each one is)-

Civil engineer
IT
The guy that draws up CNC mill programs in an office while the operators are in the shop sweating their balls off
Anything with maps, survey, engineering...
Graphic artist

Thanks in advance!

Mike, my work is pretty close to what you described. It's stressful as hell being a contractor. But, im working on getting on full time with the electric company. If that happens I'll be in the 65k+ range, 40 hour week, and it's not back breaking work at all. I'm basically a specialized civil engineer. I flunked out of college after two years cause of boobs.

I could probably get your foot in the door if you were interested. We have a Knox branch. Just throwing that out there.

I'm curious to see what other people say.

Watching. I just submitted my transcript form junior college yesterday. Looking into a Construction mgmnt program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5BrothersFabrication said:
Civil engineer - Not a bad choice, lots of different ways you can go with this piece of paper
IT - Talked my brother out of this line of work. Unless you are willing to constantly be learning new programs, languages, protocols, etc then this may not be the best choice.
The guy that draws up CNC mill programs in an office while the operators are in the shop sweating their balls off - This would be a good option,
these guys make decent coin. On a similar path, look into automation engineering or programming the robots that feed the CNC's. It is a growing market,
and the pay is top dollar.

Graphic artist

I just moved to my 3rd job, and I'm 32 right now. Went from a large Japanese machine tool manufacturer to a smaller company as a mechanical engineer. I personally wanted something with less stress, and had that smaller company (family) atmosphere. I also took a $12k/yr increaes on my base salary, mainly due to my experience.

I would highly suggest getting that piece of paper. And it was worth it to me to pay someone to write my resume for me.

Mike this pertains to programming cnc mills, lathes or any machine shop equipment. The guys that do that start out on the floor running the machines. That is how you get a good foundation of knowledge about what you are doing and how machine processes work. Not just stick it in there and cut it. Knowing best ways to hold the material and such is very basic things that only come from shop time. Also a good base in manual machining makes for good experience too. I USED to program cnc machines. Machine shop are very economy driven. Feast or famine.

You would have to go through a machine tool program. Then say they were to hire you in programming right out of trade school you probably wont be making near 55k. Not trying to be a downer. Just putting some real world experience out for you.

Get into something that everyone has to have.

I'm not going to be much help on which path you need to take, but I can tell your never to old to take a different path. I was in my mid 40s when I jumped into something completely new. I got lucky and it worked out for me.
I've never been a money driven person and I know I'll never be a rich ( Money wise ) man. But being happy in what you do has it's own rewards.
Good luck in what ever path you take.

If you are willing to travel, Technical Sales.

If you are personable and honest, you can make good money as a sales rep and all you do is ride around, look at equipment, spec out components, and answer tech questions.

What sets you apart? What do you like to do? Look at the exact same thing you are looking at with your current job, when you find you new career: can you see yourself doing this in 20 years? I think you need to tap into your art skillz. I went and got my masters while having a newborn and working 50 hours a week, so if I can do it, anyone can. I hated school and was not good at it but it was a neccessary evil so I got it did and will testify that has helped me in my career.

OR We could open up a bbq joint and call it DD's Meat Market (Dooder and Dan) "We want to put our meat in your mouth"!!!! I see it catching on. Let me know thumb.gif

Here's the link to the curriculum in Drafting, Design, and 3D Modeling at the college where I work: http://catalog.nemcc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=253&returnto=163

Most community colleges will have career and technical programs in what you're looking for. You could complete the A.A.S. in Civil Engineering Technology, work a couple of years, and then go back for your B.S. in Civil Engineering. Many of our students go that route.

I recommend going to your local CC and talking with different instructors in programs you're interested in. Spend some time on the shop floor seeing what exactly they do. You're going about it the right way thinking of the working conditions and parameters you want to have for yourself.

It's never too late to retrain and ratchet yourself up to where you want to be. Good luck, and if you want to talk with some of our instructors, I'll pass along their contact info.

Google- coding, Coding Bootcamp, coding coalminers- this is my current backup plan if God forbid my job plays out someday

money_pit_yj said:
OR We could open up a bbq joint and call it DD's Meat Market (Dooder and Dan) "We want to put our meat in your mouth"!!!! I see it catching on. Let me know thumb.gif
I like this idea best so far.

80 acres a rich farmer does not make. Especially in 125 bu corn country. Couldn't have been born in Northern MO where 250 is common ::)

I'm mainly upset for my degree choice as I don't use it....ever and an ME and the metallurgy that comes with it would be very applicable to what I love doing (developing new parts for an industry I hate)

Civil engineer

This is my gig. The education part for the "Gen Ed." stuff sucked. You need to be able to survive and pass Electrical Circuits, Thermodynamics, and 4 levels of Calculus. Its not useless, but for a Civil, it will not be applied routinely.
While unhappy early in college, once I got to the advanced classes in the field, they were easy because I was interested.

Civil engineering is very diverse and EXPERIENCE is king. There is:
* Transportation
* Structural
* Environmental
* Water Resources
* Planning
* Construction
* Geotechnical

The last 2 are what I do. I work on assessing and evaluating dams, levees, and foundations for bridges, roads, and buildings. Also, I will take the plans created by the others and help a contractor implement them. another key part of my job is looking at a set of plans and telling the designers that they are full of **** and it needs changed to be built.

Staring pay out of college is about 50k and not impossible to get to 70-80k in 6-10 years.

Let me know if you have specific questions, but I have several guys in my firm that started their career at 30-45 years old.

Hope Springs Hauler said:
4 levels of Calculus.

This is scary because in high school algebra kicked my ass.

The Luke said:
I could probably get your foot in the door if you were interested. We have a Knox branch. Just throwing that out there.

Interested!

kmcminn said:

This is one of my "meh" occupations. I ran a mill for a month or so one summer and envied the guys in that little 65° office. I only worked there til I found out the place was just a place for coke heads to get together and support their habit.

money_pit_yj said:
What sets you apart? What do you like to do? you need to tap into your art skillz. Automotive art, but I'm not moving to Detroit or Cali.

SOLD!

Craig E said:
Here's the link to the curriculum in Drafting, Design, and 3D Modeling at the college where I work: http://catalog.nemcc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=253&returnto=163

Most community colleges will have career and technical programs in what you're looking for. You could complete the A.A.S. in Civil Engineering Technology, work a couple of years, and then go back for your B.S. in Civil Engineering. Many of our students go that route.

I recommend going to your local CC and talking with different instructors in programs you're interested in. Spend some time on the shop floor seeing what exactly they do. You're going about it the right way thinking of the working conditions and parameters you want to have for yourself.

It's never too late to retrain and ratchet yourself up to where you want to be. Good luck, and if you want to talk with some of our instructors, I'll pass along their contact info.

Forgot to put drafting on the OP, but I'm super interested! Any idea on what kind of market there is for it or expected salary?

I appreciate all the feedback! THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Civil engineer

I have a degree in civil engineering, but work for a general contractor doing civil management. I did highway design for about 5 years before transitioning into civil construction as a project manager for a grading contractor and now work for a GC doing mostly civil budgets for developers, bidding civil work and managing civil construction. I feel into a great position at my current job and really enjoy it. I work with a lot of different civil engineers as well as surveyors, geotechnical engineers, environmental engineers, and etc.

The world of surveying is moving to GPS and seems like everyone is relying on a computer model now days. It amazes me at how much is based upon and built from a computer model now days. Most of your heavy equipment is GPS or laser controlled now. Most of the new curb machines run from GPS models and not from the string lines. Hard to find someone who still knows how to lay something out without using GPS. With that being said a surveyor is still required, but they spend less time on jobs then they use to.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have. I have some contacts with many firms (geotechs, surveyors, engineers, sub-contractors, and etc.) in the Knoxville area as we have done projects up there. I am currently getting ready to start a project in Cookeville with a grading contractor and civil engineer from Knoxville.

Civil engineer

Im also a civil engineer. finished my degree about 5 years ago and got a job with a small local firm that has civil design and surveying right out of college. I started out surveying doing, construction staking, boundary/topographic surveys etc. after about 2 years of that I moved into the office and started on civil design. I am now managing projects local to Huntsville that range from a 500 lot subdivision design, small retail stores, large multi use commercial projects and city projects. I enjoy the job because it is pretty rewarding going to eat at a restaurant or use a shopping center that you designed on a computer or staked out in the field.

These are just some of the stuff you can see and experience with the degree. Everyday is different than the next and like mentioned before the pay is rewarding by the projects you design that you get to see and use everyday are also pretty awesome.

Keep in mind you have to pass an engineering license exam (PE Exam) for your degree to really mean something...

My end goal would be to either own my own civil firm or go into civil management for a large contractor.

I will agree that the gen ed engineering degree classes were mind numbing but as you get into the reinforced concrete design, traffic engineering, water quality, soil mechanics and properties construction materials the degree starts to make more sense.

I would also recommend learning AutoCAD. My office uses AutoCAD Civil3D

Post up if you have any more questions. Looks like we have a few different varietys of civils on here.