• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

commercial recaps on super duty

mcbadwish

I picked up a set of 19.5's for my super duty with bald tires and was wondering you guys thought thought about running capped tires

Only legal on the rear of a big truck, only place I'd run them on anything to be honest. Modern re-caps are very good, but you see them laying on the side of the highway in the summer time for a reason.

what is your cost savings over just getting new all the way around?

also do you spin your tires a lot?

Only legal on the rear of a big truck, only place I'd run them on anything to be honest. Modern re-caps are very good, but you see them laying on the side of the highway in the summer time for a reason.

It ain't just summer :eeek:...Just this weekend on my way home on 167 alone (doesn't take into count I-405/I-5), saw no less than 4 complete treads laying along the freeway---COMPLETE...And the tread appeared good from what I could tell! Definitely not bald...

I decided to try caps on one of our F450's just as an experiment and one of the 450's I bought used had caps on it. Both sets have held up really well and wear is on par with the new domestic tires I buy and better than the cheap Korean **** rollers.

Try to find something with a closed shoulder tread though. The open shoulder lugs look like they grip better but drive like **** until you wear 25% off them. Same on new or caps.

I've heard the caps seen by roads are due to improper tire inflation. The inner tires aren't kept inflated and get too hot.

Aintstuck did you run caps on the steer tires? And does anyone know any thing about having tires regrooved the bald ones on the wheels say they are regroovable.

Recaps on steers isn't legal....Did you read thru the link that was posted earlier?
Working for a transit agency, this is fact. NO recaps on Steers...Then again, it's commercial....And I do have to digress abit and say that at least on the rears, they have held up...They don't last as long, but they held up.
As for treads on highways, it may well be an air pressure issue. Regardless,

Last edited:
I realize they arent legal as steers on commercial vehicles and I dont plan as running them as steers. I also decided im just going to start fresh and get some new purty ones.

Get the GoodYear 124s. You will thank me later. Toyos are to soft cause tire squerm when loaded. I played this game with my 550, But toyo steers rock.

As said before no go on the steer tires.

Honestly, I really prefer to go with an all position so I can rotate to all 4 corners. I have 3 trucks that run ribs on the steer axle and it doesn't take much wear in the steering to start wearing them unevenly. Obviously you can't rotate them to the front if you have caps in the rear. If you need all 6 I'd really suggest looking for a good used set on CL or from a tire shop. I see them on CL all the time.

I've heard the caps seen by roads are due to improper tire inflation. The inner tires aren't kept inflated and get too hot.

In some cases that may be true, but my old man drives big rig and checks his tires every day... still has em blow apart once in a while.