• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

considering selling my buggy for RZR - advice from those who have done it?

You will work on both a buggy and a rzr. I have had both and I prefer a buggy and the reason is I built it to do what I want it to do. The rzr I had I owned it 8 months and in that 8 months I replaced wheel bearings and ball joint and it needed them again when I sold it. I only put 400 miles on it and when i sold it it had 1500 on it. I could tell real fast I didn't need it due to all the parts that it would break if you turned over. If you don't believe me watch some videos of them wrecking cause most break a wheel off if they turn over. They are fun but for someone that is gona use it like a buggy you better carry extra parts.

replied on pirate.
wish I would have come here first.
Long story short, if all my friends had tricycles, I have a tricycle.
Nobody around with buggies, 30 rzr's in town, I have a rzr. I had a kickass buggy for a while, nobody else took on that monumental task of building and maintaining with me. I had a rzr at the same time. I probably have more fun in the rzr given my local terrain. I don't live in Arizona, socal or Alabama/TN. Therefore a rock buggy makes little sense for me.
If you have kids, the 4 seat 900's kick serious ass as well.

I have left my RZR at home the past few weekends because it has been broke....I am always working on that damn thing.

My Buggy is way more reliable than the RZR has ever been and climbs hills faster to boot. I would never get rid of it for a RZR. Just my Opinion.

knaffie said:
If only it were that simple.

You cant take it with you. lol I understand though. I am fortunate enough to have both, but my rzr rarely leaves the farm. I use it as a work horse more than anything.

Rzr's are definitely not made for rock crawling or bouncing, you can put rcv's in but then your just going to kill your diff's

Re:

I have an 800s as well as my jeep, and if I had to choose the rzr would be gone. I like the rzr for just cruising around, or running parts. Or if I am at a big event I usually ride the rzr around most of the time because it is easier to get around in than the jeep, but for hardcover wheeling the rzr just doesn't do it for me, and it's hard on wear items

Re: Re: considering selling my buggy for RZR - advice from those who have done it?

Neal3000 said:
I totally disagree with this
Explain. Ride the same trails at the same speed and I guarantee the RZR requires more maintenance, if it stays together. I'm not bashing on them, just seen it too many times.

Kel Lawrence

pholmann said:
You cant take it with you. lol I understand though. I am fortunate enough to have both, but my rzr rarely leaves the farm. I use it as a work horse more than anything.

Money isn't the issue. More like having too many toys and not having time to use / maintain them all on top of everything else in live going on. I also don't have a nice shop to work in like I used to. Maintenance is easier and faster when you have a nice place to work. I currently have a one car garage without electricity. It sucks constantly moving everything to/from the garage/trailer depending on what I'm using / working on. I literally would have no place to put a RZR without something else going - either the buggy or the ATVs. And that lack of storage situation isn't going to change any time soon.

Re: Re: considering selling my buggy for RZR - advice from those who have done it?

lowbudgetjunk said:
Explain. Ride the same trails at the same speed and I guarantee the RZR requires more maintenance, if it stays together. I'm not bashing on them, just seen it too many times.

Kel Lawrence

I've raced in, maintained and prepped both, running over essentially the same terrain, the rzr required way less maint, was easier to work on, way quicker to prep, and broke less for us......but in the end speed kills everything equally, the attrition rate in endurance racing is pretty much the same in all classes, approx 50%. And again i am not talking about rock crawling or bouncing here, rzr's are not made for that, but if your talking about pure ass hauling over rough terrain i'll take a rzr all day long ftw, it's a poor man's version of a trophy truck.

rednecklights said:
The machines that you have prepped , roughly how many miles did they have on them ?

My 800 was rough on a-arm bushings, shock bushings and wheel bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's low mileage, around 350 i think. We recently upgraded the balljoints with heims, and it got new bushings with the longarm kit, but the old stuff was still ok

My group of friends started on RZRs, got crawlers, and now all the RZRs are gone.

When you get to 2-3000 miles......it changes. I don't know if it's the tolerances, frame tweaking or what. I just watch the maintenance schedule on the RZR and think, wow, who can afford that much in wear parts and the time to work on it.

I bet i don't have 500 miles on my crawler and i've broken pretty much everything on it but the motor over that time