• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Converting to round headlights in a YJ

studduck01

I have a 95 YJ and I just don't like the square headlights. Can anyone tell me the closest year model with round lights that will fit in my YJ?

Not too sure you're going to light round headlights in a square hole. The thought had crossed my mind at one time, was just going to get a TJ grill and make it work. But but then I realized that a cool grill don't make a damn on the trail, so im still spending all my money on performance parts. :( which I just realized is never going to end!!

I've thought about throwing a TJ grill on my YJ. They fit pretty well, with only small gaps in the corner where the hood and grill meet.

The more common swap people do for round lights is a CJ grill. For that you really need the CJ hood and fenders as well. I don't dislike my YJ grill, but the TJ grill looks a bit more modern. I was just thinking about a change in the look of my Jeep since I've owned it for ~15 years. So far I haven't pulled the trigger.

A TJ grill is going to be the cheaper and easier option IMO if you want to swap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tj+grill+on+yj&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LgXQU53cL-6j8gGLv4CABw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=985

It's a 95 YJ but I don't want to spend the money on a complete frontend swap. I was hoping I could swap out grills to get the round lights. As far as the :gay: comment.. :flipgotcha:

muddinmetal said:
I think a built YJ looks 10 times "tougher" than a TJ

X2

Get some projector beam direct replacement square lights. Really updates the look of the front of the jeep.

Unless you're dead set on rounds, then a cj conversion.

studduck01 said:
It's a 95 YJ but I don't want to spend the money on a complete frontend swap. I was hoping I could swap out grills to get the round lights. As far as the :gay: comment.. :flipgotcha:
If you have any welding skills cut the headlight buckets out and swap them over to round ones. It will be a little time consuming but shouldn't break the bank. I personally like the square headlight look myself but to each his own. :dblthumb:

I dug into the archives and found a pic of a friend's old Scrambler with a YJ front clip. He modded the YJ grill to accept CJ headlights and markers. I don't care for this look as the lines of the hood and grill don't complement the round lights. Just another option for those round eyes..

Attachments

• gulches 025.jpg
    gulches 025.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 478
bgredjeep said:
I dug into the archives and found a pic of a friend's old Scrambler with a YJ front clip. He modded the YJ grill to accept CJ headlights and markers. I don't care for this look as the lines of the hood and grill don't complement the round lights. Just another option for those round eyes..
Those headlights look huge on the grille. Don't like that look either.

Rockwells607 said:
Cj and Yj tub are basically the same, swap a Cj grille and hood and it will line up with tub fine

This ^. Here's a YJ tub with CJ hood and modified grill I built a few years ago.

TBItoy said:
That looks like a cj3a grille

47985932.52CJ3A.jpg
That thought crossed my mind as well when I looked at the picture, but having actually seen the conversion in process when he was cutting and welding it together I can tell you for sure it's a YJ grill.