• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Corolla Auto crash

whiterice

Picked up a 1989 Toyota Corolla 218K, runner with toast auto trans.
Went to friendly PAP and grabbed another from a '90 w/154K. Install and swap went in like a normal R&R. Started up and the replacement auto trans worked perfect. Shift points good and smooth, kick down worked great from 15 mph to 65mph, so the swap was a success. Handed the car over to Scott to take to Bellingham for school and the trans blew up at Mt Vernon. I started the car and it sounds like a metal mixer, no rev, no drive, just grinding. Can't figure how a good working auto goes to crap and blows in 50 miles. Any idea, or history on these things. Just can't figure it, no slipping or slop after the install. Think it was just bad luck on the bone yard trans? or is there an issue with these trans. Thanks

bummer, I wish. two times around on the converter bolts and the sound seems to be coming from the outbd end of the trans. near the Left front wheel.

Axle ? OR

bummer, I wish. two times around on the converter bolts and the sound seems to be coming from the outbd end of the trans. near the Left front wheel.

Maybee a axle, slid out a bit, or a big gottcha on them there Yota Frt wheel drive trannys is the diff does not get fed by the tranny juice,

Uses gear oil,

Did you fill it with oil, ? of any sort ?

OH NO,, Well no manual on hand for the job. When I pulled my trans out it drained ATF from both the trans pan and the rear drain ( diff). The bone yard had both plugs out when I pulled it. Since the rear plug drained ATF I figured it was feed from the trans. I don't even remember seeing a side plug when the transaxle was sitting on the floor? HUM, Maybe I need a manual this time around
Anyone swap out a autotransaxle for a 5 speed? Thinking about that just to dump the automatic. I just wanted a sweet easy swap and now I am going on round II and don't want to deal with round III

Got the car in back in the garage and looked at the aft side of the transaxle and guess what I saw,, YEP, a filler plug, Bet I left the diff. dry,, 50 miles up the freeway and there goes the diff......... At least I know what happened now.

These lil A/T's are pretty bullet proof....Was the donor car (from PAP) in a wreck???? :corn: