• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cracked bell?? GR

BobR

my bellhousing has 2 cracks that run from bolt pattern to bolt pattern along the corners. what causes this kind of breakage? HP/torque
its bolted to a ford 2.8 and a WC T5

Bob

Loose bolts and tourque, or something is misalinged and putting preasure in the wrong places. Did you have to force it togetherwhen you put it together or did it go together easily?

going together it was a little bad, Ive had worse. ran fine for a about 2000then tranny made a frnny chirping noise under load. I changed smoked fluid. ran fine till.
60 miles later the fluid was smoked again and chirp was back. :mad:

Bob

Sounds like the input shaft wasin't inline with the crank and it side loaded... probably ate some bearing in the trans...:booo:

Totalled said:
Sounds like the input shaft wasin't inline with the crank and it side loaded... probably ate some bearing in the trans...:booo:
I agree about what was causing noise and only drove a few noisy miles.
I think I probably got on this before something more serious. the input shaft still feels tight.

I want to know what causes this crack pattern so I can do whats necessary to stop it from happening again.

Bob

Clutch/Transmission Installation Tips For 1986 and Newer V-8 Mustangs

A.:

The flywheel to crankshaft bolts must be hand-torqued to 75-85 ft./lbs. (302/351W) and 54-64 ft./lbs. (4.6L) The 10.5" pressure plate bolts must be torqued to 12-24 ft./lbs. and 11" pressure plate bolts to 33 ft./lbs. + 1/4 turn.

Be sure to use the alignment dowels in the flywheels. Pressure plate bolts and alignment dowels for the 10.5" clutch can be purchased using PN M-6397-A302. Pressure plate bolts N808969-S100 and alignment dowels D1FZ-6397-B are for the 11" pressure plate.

Evenly tighten bolts in a circular direction one turn at a time. Bellhousing alignment is crucial for proper clutch and transmission function.

Due to production tolerances of engine blocks and bellhousings, it is possible for the transmission centerline and crankshaft centerline to be misaligned. Misalignment can cause transmission gear wear, transmission jumping out of gear, driveline vibration, clutch pedal vibration, pilot bearing noise, release bearing noise or excessive clutch spin time. It may also damage the pilot bearing, transmission mainshaft bearing and clutch hub. It will also cause harsh shifting.

Before installing the bellhousing, check the block mounting surface and bellhousing surfaces for nicks, dents, paint debris, etc. These are some things that could affect the accuracy of your measurements.

Q.: How do I check bellhousing alignment?

A.: The first step is to check bellhousing face runout. You are checking for parallelism of the back of the bellhousing to the back of the block. Install the dial indicator (as shown fig.1). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the reading. Be sure to push the crankshaft against the thrust bearing for an accurate reading. Maximum runout is .010.

The next step is checking bellhousing bore runout. You are checking to see if the bellhousing bore centerline is aligned with crankshaft centerline. Reposition the dial indicator in the bellhousing bore (as shown fig. 2). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the readings. Maximum out of concentricity is .015. If the bore runout is out of spec. install appropriate offset dowels.

Offset alignment dowels can be purchased from Lakewood.
.007 PN 15950
.014 PN 15960
.021 PN 15970

bellhousingfig1.gif
bellhousingfig2.gif

http://www.google.com/search?client...en&q=dial+in+a+bellhousing&btnG=Google+Search

missing alignment dowels? I used to see a lot of that with forign cars and Mopars. (dowel sleeve would back out then the elephant motors would start tweaking the bolts till they came loose and the flywheel would go sialing away when the clutch was dumped)

missing alignment dowels? I used to see a lot of that with forign cars and Mopars. (dowel sleeve would back out then the elephant motors would start tweaking the bolts till they came loose and the flywheel would go sailing away when the clutch was dumped or converter locked)