• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cracked Out 6(M170) Project

47cj2a

well its nothing special choose that name because the doner Cheby the engine came out off I found what looked to me like a small pocket scale that might have been used to measure out crack.

i picked up this M170 (CJ6) as my next project for $300
egine is TBI 4.3
tranny NV3500
tcase NP231
front axle HP D30
rear axle 9" with strange 31 spline axleshafts.

the plan for the jeep is to keep it as stock looking as possible so it will be spring under, i will be painting it OD green, i am getting the original medics canvas with the crosses, and plan on placing all of the original markings on it. the thing will mostly see hunting duties and since i live on the wrong side of the mountians for hunting i went with a fuel injection engine. nothing taller then 33" tires.

the frame is getting boxed also

so far i am in this project only $1500 that includes everything mentioned above plus a few other things, medics top.

some pics of what i have done so far
551125_320_full.jpg

551125_321_full.jpg

the engine, tranny and tcase
551125_326_full.jpg

placing the engine in and making some initial measurements as far as firewall clearance and front cross member clearance
551125_327_full.jpg

551125_328_full.jpg

its first drive almost
551125_330_full.jpg

551125_333_full.jpg

551125_334_full.jpg

The doors are on there way,

i also picked up the 9" and shafts from work
551125_335_full.jpg

engine on the frame getting ready to measure tail shaft height and angles
551125_339_full.jpg

Made this at work, normally we use it for hot rods but I tiged these bosses on the end and made a couple of tabs on the frame. This way I can remove the oil pan without having to pull the engine out. Plus it should give the frame a little more rigidity. The yellow line is were I need to cut it
551125_340_full.jpg

the front axle is sitting were it needs to be as far as side to side, the spring mount perches sit just out side of the frame and not on the diff housing (driver side) or the vacuum Disco. thing (passenger side)
551125_341_full.jpg

The rear end is also sitting in its place but unfortunately I think I might have to cut the old spring perches on and re-weld them.
551125_342_full.jpg

almost done with the cross member, and I finally found some stock YJ springs real cheap. its amazing how much people want for old stock YJ leafs. I just needed them to get a rolling frame

tacked these plates on (I will later fully weld everything at work with a 220V welder). I welded some nuts to the back side, another plate will bolt on to them with some tube for support
551125_346_full.jpg

these tubes are going to be welded to the plates which bolt on to the other plates. this is not final and things might change.
551125_347_full.jpg

I will also add some more tubes and weld a steal plate underneath the whole thing for a skid plate
551125_345_full.jpg

ran into a little problem. the gusset on the T-case sticks into the frame and my sawzall is busted. so that

When are you planning on having this thing done. It should be cool to have some decent power in one of your Willys.

I really wanted to get it done a long time ago, but the old lady keeps wanting to hang out on weekends, so that only leaves me a couple of hours a day to get anything done.

its more like, more power then all of the heeps
2A 63hp Maybe
TJ 120hp on a good day

thats about right

I like the ambulance body, not bad for a jeep. I spy a blingin 60 in one of your pics, is that going in your TJ? What do you do for a third member for the 9", new or junkyard? Might thing about putting a bolt through the motormounts or maybe a limit chain or something, I ripped quite a few of them apart on mine. Probably would last ok for light use but it is easy to do at this stage.

I like the ambulance body, not bad for a jeep. I spy a blingin 60 in one of your pics, is that going in your TJ? What do you do for a third member for the 9", new or junkyard? Might thing about putting a bolt through the motormounts or maybe a limit chain or something, I ripped quite a few of them apart on mine. Probably would last ok for light use but it is easy to do at this stage.

whats up dude long time no speak. how do you feel about jake selling out and buying a Jeep.

unfortunatly the 60 is for Mikes Jeep( i am going to get a new Strange 3rd member from work for the TJ). the 60 has been sitting there for a month now. but we need to get it installed before the end of April.

I already have a 3rd for the 6 proyect but its missing everything including the pinion support. i am a little hung over so not thinking straight, but what do you mean a bolt through the motor mounts?? incase the rubber part of the motor mount seperates from the steal plates?

whats up dude long time no speak. how do you feel about jake selling out and buying a Jeep.
everbody makes mistakes:flipoff: It doesnt really have any jeep parts so it should run pretty good

i am a little hung over so not thinking straight, but what do you mean a bolt through the motor mounts?? incase the rubber part of the motor mount seperates from the steal plates?

I just drilled a 3/8 hole through them and put a bolt through so they wouldnt rip apart. That way if you are really getting on it and the mounts go under tension they only stretch out to a point then the two steel plates are held together by the bolts and washers. So you still have the rubber isolation untill the stretch to a half inch or so. The first set I had just ripped apart.

Latest posts