• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins Convert

BUILTnotBOT

NOW before i get preachy and all giddy on how im happy with what i now i have I have to give credit where credit is due...

Truck of my dreams was always all black crew cab 90s style F350. It had to have a mild lift (at least 35's) and tow package.... that was all i knew about trucks... yah:mad: To say the least the teenager inside of me picked up exactly that... with a 351, auto tranny and a red interior to die for :redneck:

IMG_0926.jpg

This truck was gutless and i mean GUTLESS. A trip to Tahuya with my Jeep in tow, or our 3 horse trailer fully loaded and I wasnt gonna be able to get past 30 on most all decent inclines and any better than 7mpg. IT DID THE JOB, dont get me wrong IT DID THE JOB. She did the Job so half decent she got me and my boys to Johnson Valley this last Februrary

181779_190006657687831_100000354950024_572404_749918_n.jpg

yah the motor was wrapped out and tranny slipping all through southern oregon/northern california. BUT slowly and surely she got us to KOH2011 and thats an experience I will never forget.

182271_190006384354525_100000354950024_572394_7230755_n.jpg

Prior to Hammers i spent 6months LOOKING for a decent Dodge Cummins 2500 and all the excitement from our KOH trip was gonna change looking to BUYING.

I picked up my 02' Dodge 2500 CTD lil over two months ago. Shes an automatic...yah I know... but she also only came off the lot with 48k and every option/creature comfort available at the time. Since owning a 24valve Shes forced me to learn alot, and not necessarily the hard way (as in it couldve been ALOT worse)...

1wk into ownership dies off freeway picking up DOM: Clogged Fuel Filter

2wk into ownership dies again: Bad Sending Unit

The best thing about both of these was it forced me to learn about this expensive hunk of metal sittin in my drive. But most of all learn about the problematic electric lift pump with the 98-02 24valve and the damage it can do to your VP44 Injector Pump and most of all YOUR WALLET. Since these two problems ive installed an AirDog 150 which relocate and replaces the factory pump, and inline with that a Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge to constantly monitor it.

Since both these upgrades she has been amazing. The output and response makes my Old 351w Ford look bad in every aspect. ***BUT DONT GET ME WRONG, That Ford NEVER broke down on me NOT EVEN ONCE. Id be lieing if i wrote i dont miss it:redneck: But pullin 8k of hay/trailer weight up and down White Pass at 13mpg and a consistant 55mph (when necessary) absolutley blew me away. Not to mention with the Jeep in tow, you dont even notice shes behind you most of the time:redneck:

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

As far as future upgrades theres alot in mind. EGT, Trans Temp Gauges. Deeper Tranny Pan and Air Bags for the rr but that will all come in time.

If Anyone has any Info/Help/stories on these trucks: good, bad or otherwise id be more than willing to listen and learn. So far soo good, just hoping i nipped the big issue with the Fuel and most of all hoping this truck lives up to its reputation and its the last rig i have to buy :haha:

yah i know! trust me if i had the shop space, money and time it wouldve happened. Itd be fun to take a whack at a fummins project one day though

Dang... I thought this thread was going to be a Fummins build....

Im going to be doing a major overhaul on my F350 this winter.

Keep an eye on your front wheel bearings for play/noise...Also get the trans pan and such asap---anything to help keep the fluid cool...
Those VP$$ :redneck: pumps are very picky, and don't like the slightest bit of fuel starvation--have seen them fail as early as 48K(covered under factory warranty-have actually seen quite a few around 60K fail-usually caused by bad lift pump)), the usual and most common mileage I have seen is between 80-120K....

Some pumps go 200k on a stock lift pump. Others fail at 50k with plenty of fuel with an aftermarket pump. It just depends on whether or not the pump builder had a good breakfast that day.

Get another cooler on that tranny.

Keep an eye on your front wheel bearings for play/noise...Also get the trans pan and such asap---anything to help keep the fluid cool...

Some pumps go 200k on a stock lift pump. Others fail at 50k with plenty of fuel with an aftermarket pump. It just depends on whether or not the pump builder had a good breakfast that day.

Get another cooler on that tranny.

Yah Im really hoping that this Airdog 150 and the Fuel Pressure gauge keep the VP44 in check. They also offfer a LED Fuel Pressure warning light to plug into the Airdog and im honestly thinking of throwing that baby in the cab also. Either way Airdog came with a LIMITED lifetime warranty and at least the stock pump is out of the picture:redneck:

You guys are right though, Transmission is next in line. I know before any really long hauls id like at least the gauge and deeper pan to be in. IDK why the thought of adding an additional cooler never crossed my mind, but i like it...

Dang... I thought this thread was going to be a Fummins build....

Im going to be doing a major overhaul on my F350 this winter.

When you do it, be sure to post up some pics! I know ill at least want to see them. I know one day ill have another 90s F350