• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins in a ferd (let the hate begin)

Bronco72 said:
I put a 12v in a 04 i thank we ruint both trucks. The one the moter came out of and the one we put it in. We bought the conversion parts and it did fit and run really good. That toqure shift never has liked that cummins. We used a sct tuner to tune the trans. Honestly we probly had 25 custom tunes wrote for that white pice of ****. Never could get it to shift right. We just got it to were you can live with it. Still ended up putting a trans in it in less then a year. New one is still odd. Idk how that 4 speed auto would do. But id never do another one in a auto truck. And the damn truck has some odd vibrations and is very loud in the cab. We has to change the gov spring in the pump to get any speed out of the truck. I than 71 or 72 is all it woud do with a stock gov spring and it 3:73's that 550 proby wouldnt brake 50 stock and 70 with the rpm's turned up. At 80 you can not hold a conversation in the cab comfortably. It was a king ranch so it had nice interior. Honestly it was a better truck even with that junk ass 6.0. Maybe a 24v or the newer common rail **** would be better but that **** is expensive. We swapped injectors and turbo also just to get some power back. That stock 12 felt like a 4 cyl in that truck compared to the stock 6.0 that i pulled out. But on the flip side it is very reliable now and gets 19 mpg with that old fart drivin it like he is mad at it everyday

That's standard 12v stuff. They leave a lot to be desired stock but for under $500 you have a towing sombitch. and the reason is its so loud is ford didn't put as much sound insulation as dodge did. My 12v with 4:10's, 4k gov springs, valve springs, and a little bit of tuning it runs great and pulls like a champ. I love my old truck. Its got 336xxx on it and I had the head off changing the gasket (about 335k on factory head gasket) and the cylinders looked better than most cars do with 100k on them. My .02 run the 7.3 until it goes the way of a ford, then slam a 12valve in it.

Re: Re: Cummins in a ferd (let the hate begin)

Eddyj said:
Who is the grand wizard of 7.3s?
Seems like someone on here help BK and some others out.
Matt Maier @Irate Diesel

Check the blow by on the 7.3L or have someone who knows them look it over. You can make a reliable tow rig out of a 7.3L so my vote would be NOT to swap it... If it was a 6.0L or 6.4L my tune would change a little. molaugh lol swaps are fun but can be pretty expensive once you forced the engine and the adapters/trans controllers, then if you do 12v you end up with a lot of noise and stock power unless you add some to it $$ to bring that up too.

If this is just a tow rig, there are several things you could do to make it tow whatever you want reliably #1 being the transmission. Just get a good valve body and converter in there and they will handle some decent power, if you want more power just go ahead and build the trans then forget about it! Ill bet it has some 4:46 gears in the rear on that thing too so it will have some RPM's on the highway, you could always go to a 3:73 once you are making the power to pull. There are several ways to get the power out of them, I did a write up on here to kind of outline it for people. You tell me what power and budget you have and ill bet we can make a nice running 7.3L that does everything you want.

https://www.iratediesel.com/irdie/7-3l-power-combos/ultimate-7-3l-tow-package-400-475rwhp/ (The store is being updated so it may give a little trouble but the outline still shows up.)

06aa4814492460fbe89a5c06fd6a2a71.jpg

69b4a16ec1ac38ffd04404033255a749.jpg

I tow with mine all the time! Although I have a lot of time and research in making the power with the set up I have, 400-550 is easily obtainable on a 7.3 with some aftermarket parts. Years ago this used to be really difficult, but times have changed.

Mattman347 said:
06aa4814492460fbe89a5c06fd6a2a71.jpg

69b4a16ec1ac38ffd04404033255a749.jpg

I tow with mine all the time! Although I have a lot of time and research in making the power with the set up I have, 400-550 is easily obtainable on a 7.3 with some aftermarket parts. Years ago this used to be really difficult, but times have changed.
Sure wish both my 7.3's had the forged rods, what safe power can ya get outta the pmr motors and sweet obs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattman, I appreciate the advise. I have nothing against the 7.3 me and my family have had multiple 7.3s break 300000miles. The last 8 years I have become very familiar with Cummins.
I have a business where we pull a lot. I have trucks that don't move unless they have 14000-22000pounds of trailer hooked to them. Here's the really cool part, I usually don't get to drive my own trucks (I am usually in a semi with them following me) some of the people who I drive these trucks are "simple folk".
The truck has not been maintained well but does have some new parts and a tranny rebuild (don't know the specs on that)
I'm buying the truck for a good price. So I am just tossing around some options.
Either way I go I can not offorf to have a truck in the shop.

Zjman said:
Sure wish both my 7.3's had the forged rods, what safe power can ya get outta the pmr motors and sweet obs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! ON a PMR engine (01-03 MOST of the time have PMR's) I like to keep the power around the 450RWHP mark. I own the red SD on the trailer and have pushed it at 450 for years.

Eddyj said:
Mattman, I appreciate the advise. I have nothing against the 7.3 me and my family have had multiple 7.3s break 300000miles. The last 8 years I have become very familiar with Cummins.
I have a business where we pull a lot. I have trucks that don't move unless they have 14000-22000pounds of trailer hooked to them. Here's the really cool part, I usually don't get to drive my own trucks (I am usually in a semi with them following me) some of the people who I drive these trucks are "simple folk".
The truck has not been maintained well but does have some new parts and a tranny rebuild (don't know the specs on that)
I'm buying the truck for a good price. So I am just tossing around some options.
Either way I go I can not offorf to have a truck in the shop.

Just put your money into the 7.3L in the right places and it will live a long happy life. One of the biggest thing is the dang turbos, the whole system sucks and most people don't know about the options out there. Even with "simple folk" driving the truck you can have reliability to an extent. lol Just make the power you want to tow with and have the switch for the chip hidden!

I don't really have a shop that I work out of, do some at my house but mainly help people with parts and set ups. I do try and help people out on hardline as much as possible though, I just drive down to meet with Rokcrler and get his 2000 back and running again. I don't have a problem checking a truck out and giving my opinion on it either. The company I work for is out of Oregon, I do all the sales/tech support and handle their dealer network for them from my place here in TN. You are more than welcome to give me a call or shoot me a text on my work phone. 503-435-9599. :dblthumb:

Hey Ed, if you decide to swap to a Cummins I have a co-worker that is interested in buying your 7.3 you'll be taking out.....

Re: Re: Cummins in a ferd (let the hate begin)

Mattman347 said:
I don't really have a shop that I work out of, do some at my house but mainly help people with parts and set ups. I do try and help people out on hardline as much as possible though, I just drive down to meet with Rokcrler and get his 2000 back and running again. I don't have a problem checking a truck out and giving my opinion on it either. The company I work for is out of Oregon, I do all the sales/tech support and handle their dealer network for them from my place here in TN. You are more than welcome to give me a call or shoot me a text on my work phone. 503-435-9599. :dblthumb:
Dude, I'm so glad to get the sled running again...getting those injectors and TS chip very soon!

So day one of unfooking a ford was spent fixing a broken centering pin on the rear axle and fixing multiple air leaks. Now I can safely drive the truck to see what needs to be worked one.