• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins thats been sitting

JPT

Okay so I have a cummins that I havent driven since October 2012 so basically a year and a half. And I havent even started it. :looser:
I am about to start driving it again and wondering if there is any prep I should do. Its a 2001 24v autp with 93k miles it ran and drove great I just stopped driving it. Any suggestions?

Depends on if it was stored inside or outside. If inside id just check fuel pressure or make sure you have fuel pressure and fire it up. If stored outside you will at the very least make sure there is no water in the fuel system.

Step 1) Change the fuel filter.

Step 2) Drive that fawker till you need to change the fuel filter again.

Step 3) Walk to the nearest parts house from where your truck broke down and buy a new fuel filter and change it with the belt you use to hold up your pants.

Step 4) Go home smelling like diesel fuel after your last deployment and tell the wife you want to make the sexy time right now.

Step 5) Profit. :awesomework:

I was planning on sucking the tank dry and changing the fuel filter but just kinda wondering if there might be jelling issues. We have had a couple excavators sit just as long without any problems. Once I get it going I plan to change all fluids and whatever else it needs. It is at my property in Leavenworth so the winters are kinda harsh thats what I am worried about. It has stayed plugged into the block heater through the winters though. I am mainly wondering about pre startup prep or issues to think about.

Has the timing gear oiler fix been done yet? First thing I would do.

Hasnt been done. What are the main reasons for doing this? It is basically bone stock but I do have some bolt ons already plus ddp injectors and industrial injection vp44 waiting to go on it but would like to drive it a little before I tear into it.

IIRC, it's an external fix to keep the oiler from dropping into the gears and destroying everything like the one currently sitting at PickNPull in Lynnwood.

If it was the boss's truck it would just get fired up.

Its a cummins, never fear. :D

Besides sitting around for years cant make that truck any shittier than the electrojection on it! :stirpot::corn:

Its a cummins not a Isuzu, fire it up and haul 20 grand across the mountains. Then check the oil. It might need a oil change by then.

Its a cummins not a Isuzu, fire it up and haul 20 grand across the mountains. Then check the oil. It might need a oil change by then.

Funny you say that, The Isuzu's in our Link Belt shovels go 30,000+ hours while 10K is great for a Cummins in the Timbcos.

I agree though, start it and run it.

:smack: I thought they had it remedied by the time 24V came out...

Nope, they are more uncommon. But for whatever reason, the updated case didn't make it's way onto all of the engines. The chances of having the old case gradually went down as the years progressed. But, for the cost of a $34 front main seal (which will probably leak soon if it isn't already), it's worth a look to make sure.