• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins tow rig

dventoza

Im looking for a 1996-2002 Dodge diesel extra cab 4x4 for a tow rig and daily driving purposes. I have a few questions and was wondering what you guys have to say since there are a ton of dodge owners on here.

-What are the pros and cons of a 12v and 24v?
I did some searching and it seemed like the 12v last longer with fewer problems.
-What trans should I be looking for?
I would be towing my jeep and have a camper in the bed.

if you are dead set on dodge with cummins get a manual tranny the dodge autos are junk behind the cummins.

might be able to find a 01 or 02 7.3 ford which are far superior trucks for a nice price and have far less problems than with a dodge.

you cant beat a 12v cummins.

Auto tranny all suck, it doesnt matter, dodge chev ford. blah blah blah.

Stick tranny suck too. dodge ones come loose and fords have shitty clutch bla blah blah.

If you buy a high mileage diesel expect to do a tranny or clutch, thats just how it is.

The 12v is cheap to fix and easy to work on by a normal DIYer.

The PSD is expensive to fix and will eat injectors too. Its electronic controlled and not easily fixed by an average dude. The engine compartment is cramped and hard to get to things easily.

I love my 98 12v and my auto tranny. I got a great truck for 5Gs.

I have heard about fords being expensive to repair. I know a couple people who have dodges with the autos and have had no problems so far and they are around 180k to 200k. But it sound like they just got lucky. haha

So im looking to spend around 7k on a truck and looking on craigslist it looks like a dodge is right in that budget and most of the trucks have 200k plus on them.
Is 200k a lot of miles for these trucks or are they just getting started?
And what are some things to look out for on different years?

If you find a 12 valve or some early 24 valves your going to make sure you want to do the killer dowl pin. You can read up on it but what it is is a small pin under the timing cover above the injector pump gear that comes loose after time and falls into the timming gears. you can only image what happens next.

If you find a 12 valve or some early 24 valves your going to make sure you want to do the killer dowl pin. You can read up on it but what it is is a small pin under the timing cover above the injector pump gear that comes loose after time and falls into the timming gears. you can only image what happens next.

it has happened on 01's and 02's as well.. no 1st or second gen is safe.. Better to check for the updated case on all of them.

So the only problems with these motors is the dowel pin?
Is the 12valve better than the 24valve for reliability and longevity?

So the only problems with these motors is the dowel pin?

That is really the only inherent problem with the engine. But the fact that the newest 12v is now 12 years old must also be considered as well. A lot of the condition of the engine is going to depend on how it was maintained, modified, used and/or abused.

Is the 12valve better than the 24valve for reliability and longevity?

Personally, in general I would say yes. But again, it depends on maintenance, modification, and use/abuse.

I also suggest that you do some reading and research on diesel specific websites such as NW Bombers, NW Diesels, Turbo Diesel Registry, Diesel Truck Resource, etc.

And when you go to a few of those sites. Don't get your panties in a bunch of someone jumps on you for asking a question. A lot of us have been around the diesel scene for a while now, and some people get jumpy with basic question.. Searching for a little while is your best option. If you can't find it, then definitely feel free to ask.

Thanks for the advise haha
But I guess what im trying to find out is what truck is the best overall stock platform?
I know that it is gonna have high miles just because of the price range Im in and Im not gonna build it up I just want something to dd and tow with. Im not gonna go to the drag strip or the mud bogs with it just want it to be reliable. I just dont want to get stuck with a truck with known problems that cost a lot to fix when it could have been avoided.
Agian thanks for all the advise and Im gonna be doin a ton of research on those diesel site!! :awesomework:

Yup. And it is so freaking ridiculously cheap and easy to prevent that it is just foolish to not do so.

Got any more info about this? A link or something? I'd like to see if mine has been changed if not I'll do it ASAP.

EDIT: Nevermind I googled it. Yeh that is pretty easy to fix.. I need to do this. :awesomework:

Last edited:
When I was in your position, I did what I recommended to you: I read those websites I suggested and more. I looked at the problems specific to both engines as well as the issues that affect the 2nd Gen Dodge trucks in general. I wanted to make as informed a decision as I could.

When it came time to vote with my $$$, the 12v with a 5 speed manual transmission just penciled out to be the better engine for me so that is what I waited for until the right deal came along. I wanted the simplest, most reliable, most survivable drivetrain available from the factory. I have no interest in drag racing or sled pulling and little more than a passing interest in dyno numbers.

When I was in your position, I did what I recommended to you: I read those websites I suggested and more. I looked at the problems specific to both engines as well as the issues that affect the 2nd Gen Dodge trucks in general. I wanted to make as informed a decision as I could.

When it came time to vote with my $$$, the 12v with a 5 speed manual transmission just penciled out to be the better engine for me so that is what I waited for until the right deal came along. I wanted the simplest, most reliable, most survivable drivetrain available from the factory. I have no interest in drag racing or sled pulling and little more than a passing interest in dyno numbers.

Cool. Thanks for the info and advise!!!

did my kdp pin today and 4in exhaust. both were super easy. i love my 97 12v. i have an 03 subaru that has been sitting ever since i bought the truck. its starting to turn green :D.