• GM Crew Cab with Duramax / Allison trans

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Ford Crew Cab with Power Stroke

Votes: 22 16.2%

• Total voters
Dodge is good.

Ford 7.3 is good.

Duramax is good.

whatever you do, don't buy a ford newer than 02.

Here's what I gathered based on all the replies and research Ive done....

Dodge is good except for the auto trans if I plan on doing mods and go crazy with power....

Ford 7.3 is good except getting up there in age due to older model

Duramax is good except for the generally much higher purchase price.

That being said, Ive decided to go with the Dodge. I dont plan on doing too many mods so the tranny should be fine. I will install a bigger, better trans cooler tho....

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bill

I voted Dodge, but say give both the Dodge and Chevy a test drive. When I bought my Dodge I test drove both the Chevy and the Dodge, I liked the Dodge more, but the Chevy is a nice truck also and depending on your tastes may be a better choice.

Here's what I gathered based on all the replies and research Ive done....

Dodge is good except for the auto trans if I plan on doing mods and go crazy with power....

Ford 7.3 is good except getting up there in age due to older model

Duramax is good except for the generally much higher purchase price.

That being said, Ive decided to go with the Dodge. I dont plan on doing too many mods so the tranny should be fine. I will install a bigger, better trans cooler tho....

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bill

Yup, thats pretty accurate. I personnaly don't like the chev interior.. I like the looks of the dodge, but they don't ride as nice in my opinion.
The ford is a ford is a ford. My 02 7.3 only has 94K on in. and i tow everywhere.

I don't care what you go with.. if you go much higher then 400-420 hp.. you will need a better tranny.. I don't give a **** if it's allison or not. For some reason people think those are unbreakable and that is completely false.. Within recent years.. all are about the same.. Dodges auto trannys aren't the junk they used to be.. Ford chevy and dodge can all handle about the same as far as power goes before they need upgrading.. I've had people tell me that ONE person has handled 500+ hp on such and such a (stock) tranny with so many launches at the drag strip.. yet thousands of others seem to fail.. I tend to not learn towards the "unicorn" of the bunch and just play it safe.

ok off my soap box

for at LEAST 10 minutes :redneck:

I vote Dodge, had an 04 with 250000 miles got rid of it bought an 07.5 D-Max it wasnt bad turned shitty loved the tranny and the comfort features inside but as a whole Dodge all the way with a 5.9L. I traded my D-Max in for an 07 Mega cab

In my opinion
They are all the same as far as on the road lookin pretty :stirpot:

Look for a fodgy they are the best truck on the market
Motor out of a Dodge
Trans out of a Chevy
Everything else ford
Personal experience
My Chevy was in the shop as much as I had it
My Dodge rattles as it drives down the road and has a lot of wind noise and I cant go 3 months without it going in the shop for something wrong and it is just a hwy truck no off road
My Ford I beat the living crap out of it. Tow huge loads $ 12000+, just turning 100 K bean in the shop 3 times 1 turbo problem, one injector and finally at 96 K I popped the head gaskets and original breaks

Here is my opinion
If you are on the road and NO offroad Chevy is the one
If you are going to pull some weight and on the road then Dodge
If you are going to work the living crap out of it then ford

which model/year dodge has the nut in the tranny that falls off and needs to be tack welded to fix the problem?:redneck:

which model/year dodge has the nut in the tranny that falls off and needs to be tack welded to fix the problem?:redneck:

if ya tack weld it. You are asking for trouble.. That is the WRONG way to do it.

And it's the NV4500 found from 94-03 or 04.. can't remember when they finally discontinued it. And they don't always fall off.. It's less likely to happen then to happen. Some people try and fix them and end up snapping breaker bars trying to get them off.

well for what its worth im a die hard chevy guy, evan have a bowty tat but when it came down to buying a reliable work trk i went with a dodge 2000 dually 2wheel dr.5 sp. its got 234000 and yes it's left me stranded with a bad pump then lift pump 1 month later. Ive had it for 6 years i pull its guts out allmost every day loaded with a skid steer on a trailer. it weighs in at 20,000LB. its got 375 inj. chip and 4 in. ext. ITS ****EN LOUD rattle rattle rattle i love the look on people's face when you pull up next to them and thay roll up thair windows. So when it came time to buy a personal trk as a back up "for the business" i got a 02 dodge with a 6 sp. love it. but you are shifting all the time

Well, this week's auction didnt have anything I wanted so I will have to wait till next Wednesday's auction. Hopefully the broker will find something for me.

If you really plan on having the truck around for a long time I'd suggest either a older 7.3 or a 5.9 cummins. both are great engines that'll last forever in most cases. My dad has a '02 24 valve dually with a 6 speed. It has had a trailer of some sort attached to it at least 90% of it's life and it has 379k on it. Yes the lift pump died twice but once we tossed a carter 7psi pump back by the tank there hasn't been a failure yet.

My buddies parents bought a 96 f250 new for their farm. It has flat out been a great truck for them. The engine has over 250k with zero hiccups and the chassis has around 350k including the stock trans. The engine was replaced at 98k by the dealer when they found the air intake piping has broken allowing dirt into the engine. So rather than deal with it later they just warrantied it straight up. GREAT service. :D

come on they use the duramax diesl engines in nascar trucks straight from the factory and add twin turbo cant beat that i love gm and i dont think you can get a more reliable trucks thanks for reading my opinion:awesomework:

Last edited:
come on they use the duramax diesl engines in nascar trucks straight from the factory and add twin turbo cant beat that i love gm and i dont think you can get a more reliable trucks thanks for reading my opinion:awesomework:

you don't know a whole lot about that truck what what it took to build it do you?

yea alot of man hours and i do know a bit i am buying a gmc hd2500 in a few months just need more money ive read studied and even test drove so many even got them to let me tow my truck around for anhour coudnt even ntice it was behind the truck and the gas milage was great to im not a genious on them but from what ive read and understand its deffenatly got my attention.:awesomework: