• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins VS Duramax

79Ford

Well I have somebody interested in my truck (12v with some mods prolly 400hp). I had been thinking of trading it anyway in the spring I had a 05 dodge 2500 a couple years ago which I really liked and sold it to lose a big payment. I am thinking like a 05 06 dodge (manuel tranny only) or a 06 Duramax but I thought I would ask yalls opinion I have never owned a D-max and i love a Cummins but the Dodge part of the truck is what I don't like. Whatever I buy I would like to stay in the same pulling power range as my 12v it is not uncommon to pull 17 18k on a gooseneck regularly sometimes more we have two big tractors we use for hay one weighs like 16k without any attachments. I know I will prolly put a programer, exhaust, and intake on my new truck that being said the Dodge will need a $1k clutch right away (will the allison survive the beating in a D-max?) what do yall think would be a better ton truck Chevy or Dodge I picked those year models because from what I know these seem to be the best years to get one I am thinking at best 70 80k mile trucks maybe even 150k or more I would like to get out for less than 30k anyway let the **** talkin begin!

I like the cummins motor but Dodge transmissions scare me. I have a early 07 Duramax, I like it but I do think the cummins is a stronger motor. I have a 30 foot gooseneck that weighs about 5000 lbs and I have had 2 5000 lb rigs on it and the duramax did well. But of course this is just my stupid opinion and everyone has one.

i like both but i got a duramax cause of the deal i got. dont think you can really go wrong with ether one. just buy the first one you come across and like :driving:

chevy and dodge are oboma motors if u want a real truck step up and get a f350 or better yet 450 that will do the job.POWER STROKE!!!

I had a 05 dodge that i sold to get an truck that was idenitcal to it besides the brand,, an 06 Duramx.. both were same color, 4x4 4door dually. Dodge was stick, dmax was auto. I loved the cummins, had bully dog and Southbend clutch, thats all you needed to get it to pull nice. I takes a bit more money on a dmax. but when your done. Ya got something!! Two things ya need, EFI Live, and Suncoast tranny. You'll have a truck you'll never sell, bottom line!!

My brother-in-law is a Dodge fan all the way and has owned and owns several but he told sold his daily driver dodge and said he is tired of working on all the little things. Motors is awesome in them but the truck falls apart. I have a 05 dmax and like it and that is what he wants now. Like the above post said EFI live and Suncoast. An Allison tranny is only good for an extra 100 hp and it will start going into limp mode.

rockkrusher said:
chevy and dodge are oboma motors if u want a real truck step up and get a f350 or better yet 450 that will do the job.POWER STROKE!!!
:wtflol: Yea what time its not in the shop gettin fixed!

300k trucks motors wrapping in a 50k mile trucks.
I liek the Cummins, but I hate the seats in the Dodges. Makes my legs fall asleep.

Love my '06 D-MAX.

i had an 02 dmax with a manual and liked it and its still running fine, had an 05 dmax with an allison. wasnt bad but left me stranded twice over the injector wiring harness. went into limp mode several times, and didnt like towing with the allison, it would downshift at imes when going to fast for the lower gear and try overrevving the motor. traded it for an 09 dodge dually with the 6.7 and back to a manual. cummins pulls better and gets alot better mileage doing it than the dmax and allison. personnally i like a manual for towing bigger loads

InDaShop said:
300k trucks motors wrapping in a 50k mile trucks.
I liek the Cummins, but I hate the seats in the Dodges. Makes my legs fall asleep.

Love my '06 D-MAX.

The seats are my least favorite thing about my 06 Dodge.

both are good motors, both tannys have their problems, The Cummins 5.9L 600 series in the 04' is a pullin SOB. With a simple programmer 585/865 , not bad for a stock inline 6

Ive had 2 dodges and have had a 06 duramax in the past year.One dodge was a 05 which had the 325 motor and now the dodge i got now is a 03 with the 305. Duramax aint got no torque down right. Dodge will pull that thing all over the dang road but i didnt have duramax but 3 months and they are quick but with no torque. But just lookhow good looking they are.
2012-01-01_122316-Copy.jpg

2012-01-01_122552-Copy.jpg