• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Current Conditions at Evans

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
I was curious what the current conditions are up at Evans right now, mainly if there is any snow on the road up or at the staging area. Thanks!

The rd up is dug out for RV's and u might run into snow/glazier on the top of 520 thats melting off other wise good...

Work party this weekend I heard ?

Conditions on the trails were great two weeks ago. Ran into snow on the upper 520.

The road to the campground is destroyed. If want to get to the campground take the lower 311 there, it is easier. If you must use the road I recommend a 4X4 tow rig and a 10K trailer as good minimum requirements. 7K trailers ride too low for the foot deep pot holes in the road. You'll end up dragging it like a sled.

My tow rig is on 35s. It took me around an hour to get from the start of the gravel to the campground. I drug the back of my 10K trailer a few times and damaged the jack significantly.

I was up there today. The county was grading the main road (hwy) and its in great shape. The road from the entrance to the day use is about average (the last 300yards or so are rough) there was snow in the campground all around the edges but the road was clear. I drove over the Tolmie creek road and there was about 8" of snow on top of it it the shady areas. Drove as far as the new road block which is about 1/2 mile past the 120 trail.

Conditions on the trails were great two weeks ago. Ran into snow on the upper 520.

The road to the campground is destroyed. If want to get to the campground take the lower 311 there, it is easier. If you must use the road I recommend a 4X4 tow rig and a 10K trailer as good minimum requirements. 7K trailers ride too low for the foot deep pot holes in the road. You'll end up dragging it like a sled.

My tow rig is on 35s. It took me around an hour to get from the start of the gravel to the campground. I drug the back of my 10K trailer a few times and damaged the jack significantly.

So is the road tore up the whole way from where the pavement ends or just the road from the main gravel road to the campground? Just going up for a day trip, so I wasn't planning on going all the way up to the campground, I just want to make sure my 2wd tow rig can get me to the bottom of 311 at least.

The road is somewhat good up to right before the 102. It sounds like the road is beter now if it got graded, but as of sunday the 9th, the road gets really bad (basicaly solid pot holes that are 2-3 feet across and probably 6" deep, over the whole road) right before where the 102 comes out to the main road (where it is now blocked off). At the 102 it gets substatial better than before the trail, there are still alot of pot holes, but for the most part you can avoid them. And that continues to the parking lot.
On Sunday we didn't go to the campground, but as of a month or so ago, the road from the main parking to the campground was pretty bad, but not as bad as the section before the 102.

The first little part of the 311 has changed a bit since before winter too. Now there is a third ledge on the right side that you have to get over. It gave my Ranger a hell of a time.
And, the 311 is completely clear of snow up until the first big clearing on the upper 311, and that is as far as we went since we were on dirtbikes.

Glad to here they graded the road. It beat up on my tow rig pretty good.

Glad to here they graded the road. It beat up on my tow rig pretty good.

Yea it was good today. There is a soft spot just a little before the entrance that might go away quickly. The rest of the way down I was doing 35-40 in the truck with no issues at all.

Thanks again for letting me ride along, Les. (and not making me pull cable :redneck:)

Here's a couple pics from the day.
Nick gittin it. :cool:
100_0980.jpg

100_0972.jpg

Vid....

The rest of the pics and vids.

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/Dcdatsuns/Evans/

Last edited:
Yeah, we would have spent a lot more time on loggin roads lookin for trails if you hadnt came with. And Nick would have ran out of propane on the trail:redneck:

We just gotta get the work parties to put some more obstacles on the trails though, too much 2wd, and glorified loggin roads. ANd nice job to nick gettin up that gatekeeper/slimy entrance to 311:awesomework:

And Nick would have ran out of propane on the trail:redneck:

Yeah funny story...when we got home and unloaded the rig Les and I noticed I was looking at the vertical gauge, if I had read the hortizonal gauge (since thats how the tank is mounted) I would have noticed it was still 1/2 full not empty. :redneck: