• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom fuel cell??

skipnrocks

I got quoted 1200 to have a fuel cell made for my dads buggy. It's not a complex one. It's more or less a rectangle 35in long 10in tall 8 in deep at the bottom and 12 at the top. Does that seem high?

Can I just build one out of 11 guage steel or will rust be a beast?

I built my own out of stainless. Turned out ok. I think I ended up with about 400$ in it including the Holley hydramat.

55D20E70-F146-45DD-BF87-BEC58483FBE3_zpsqmuwpxtr.jpg

D00F79E4-55BE-4719-9798-784F5F231CBC_zps8l7ph0sw.jpg

I've had both carbon steel and stainless steel with no issues. The local aluminum welder up here gets a dollar an inch of weld which made my decision for me. My carbon steel tanks have not had the liner/sealer in them and haven't noticed any problems, but then again never got a good look inside them after the fact. Kept them full of fuel the best I could after wheeling.

I built a stainless cell in my jeep about 4 years ago it's been great!! I wouldn't use mild steel I hate dealing with rust issues. And I've never personally had any luck with the at home coatings holding up for a long period of time.. Just my 2 cents..

I got lucky with my fuel cell and bought food grade stainless for scrap price at a local factory. They even sheared it to the sizes I needed.