• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

custom torque converters in the SE?

patooyee

I'm having a hard time with a vendor right now trying to get a custom torque converter right. It is going back to them for the second time now and they are being problematic / difficult. They got virtually every spec that I told them to build wrong. Wrong pilot dia., wrong input splines, wrong bolt pattern, wrong offset, wrong input shaft length, wrong oil pump drive so far. The sad part is that I feel they have a good product, it's just that the owner is so ADHD that he doesn't absorb the details and gets **** wrong as a result. I'm not asking for anything too complex but it is appearing to be impossible from this vendor. Even more problematic is that he is out west and every time it needs to be returned is a 2 week round trip + however long it takes him to fix.

So are there any reputable custom builders in the SE? I see that ACC Performance (maker of Boss Hog Converters) is in Muscle Shoals but do they do custom jobs? Anyone else?

Re: Re:

patooyee said:
I've already called them. This is an Ecotec Converter and they say they don't work with Ecotec anything.
Ahhh. Was about to put a link to their website. Hopefully you can find something. Good luck with your search.

John

I know you're looking for southeast, but drop Jesse Haines a message. He had a custom converter made for Prickle not too long ago that apparently made a big difference. It was from someone out his way IIRC.

Stretch said:
I know you're looking for southeast, but drop Jesse Haines a message. He had a custom converter made for Prickle not too long ago that apparently made a big difference. It was from someone out his way IIRC.

I contacted his vendor already as well. The price was insultingly high. Granted, it was for way more than I needed. But they weren't willing to build less so oh well.

And before you call me cheap, I paid $685 for the one I am returning now. So when I say "insultingly high," I mean that my feelings were actually hurt! :)

It was obvious that they were only willing to build me a converter for a 2000 ft/lbs diesel when all I need is one for a 280 ft/lbs 4-cyl.

Kinda figured that would be the case.

And I could never call you cheap even if I wanted to joke about it. You've invested more time, money and thought into some brackets on your rigs than I spent on my last two rigs combined. laughing1

Pumped to see whatever this mini contraption you are building turns out to be since my next one will be a small, lightweight cone dodger'ish rig.

I know Nelson personally at ACC and I wouldn't even contact him about it. He is the type of person who wants to be able to do anything and he will try his best to accommodate but it will be a long drawn out thing that you probably want to avoid just my 2 cents

jccarter1 said:
I know Nelson personally at ACC and I wouldn't even contact him about it. He is the type of person who wants to be able to do anything and he will try his best to accommodate but it will be a long drawn out thing that you probably want to avoid just my 2 cents

Damn. That wasn't what I wanted to hear. :(

I've also contacted Hughes (They won't do custom anymore, too busy building the same stuff for Summit..) I was going to try TCI but everyone tells me their quality has gone way down the past few years.

I think that's everyone I've tried so far.

Re:

I can't recommend them as far as how they hold up or how much they cost but I can tell you the convertor I installed was really nice. The machine work was flawless on the outside but we all know sometimes looks good but doenst perform. Any how maybe they can help you out.

http://www.greatconverters.com/

I might need to rephrase what I said about Acc if you know all the specs you need he might be able to do it he just doesn't know how to do a lot of custom work he has the equipment to do it just not the knowledge to design from the ground up

JJ you might try Steve at champion racing transmission in Clearwater. He has been the one that took on my amc stuff that no one else wanted to touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

"****" AKA TBItoy said:
Learn to build your own?

I practically have trying to figure ot why this thing woudln't fit my ttrans! I spent hours on Sunday trying to get it in there and finally measured the distance on the oil pump drive flats to find that they were .010" oversized. NO WAY was that thing ever going in there! I disassembled a spare pump and put the inner gear on the torque converter to confirm! **** like that is basic torque converter 101!

jccarter1 said:
I might need to rephrase what I said about Acc if you know all the specs you need he might be able to do it he just doesn't know how to do a lot of custom work he has the equipment to do it just not the knowledge to design from the ground up

I do know most of what I need. That was kind of the problem this time. The guy I bought from is borderline ADHD and didn't want to listen to the details. He interrupted me and said, "Don't worry dude, I build thousands of these things, I got it all figured out!" BULLSHIT! I had a whole list of detailed specs written out for him with CAD drawings and everything. He didn't want to hear or see any of it! And the converter I got is off by the exact amounts that he is off from my specs!

EGarner said:
JJ you might try Steve at champion racing transmission in Clearwater. He has been the one that took on my amc stuff that no one else wanted to touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely will! Thanks!