• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cut Off Wheel Thickness???

98TJ

I just bought a new Makita 5" angle grinder and it came with a 5" cut off wheel. It's 5" x .032" x 7/8". Its much thinner than what I have used in the past. I think the ones I have used are at least twice that thick. I'm wondering if the thinner ones might be better? They look pretty fragile being so thin. What are y'all using?

I use Bullard abrasives type 27 wheels, or PFRD. The Bullard are better on the wallet and seem to hold up.

I use normal thickness and thin blades frequently. Im a little more gentle setting the grinder down with the thin so I don't damage it but thats it. As a positive. The thin makes less dust since there is less material on the disk and it moves less material being thin.

I like the thin ones. we call em "Ziz wheels"

train yourself to lay grinders down wheel-up and you wont break discs. It feels weird and unnatural but you get used to it, and you can sit down a grinder that is still spinning without grind-stopping the wheel or having it run away.

@Wmikew06 Do you think the Pfrd stuff is worth it? I was actually thinking of making a post to see if guys think the more expensive cut off wheels are worth the money.

@Wmikew06 Do you think the Pfrd stuff is worth it? I was actually thinking of making a post to see if guys think the more expensive cut off wheels are worth the money.
They have their place. They make a stainless disk that lasts for ever, but i think for normal everyday cutting i would use BA or Benchmark or Diablo. its hard to justify $5 a disk for pfrd when you can get a BA for about a buck.

Latest posts