• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 highsteer arm

mudslayer

So pulled jeep off the trailer and went to turn around, but when I turned the wheel it turned almost a full turn before a actually start to turn. Got to looking and high steer arm (top of knuckle) was loose. At least I thought, got to wiggling it around and the front half fell off into my hand. Front bolt is sheared off in the knuckle,, Unbelievable this didn't come apart on the trail! So what are guys running for arms? This was a poison spider one and had been well used for about 5yrs.

Dang. Was the knuckle machined flat? Locking cones and crimp nuts? I get mine from Dean in Puyallup.

I'm confused. Did it just come loose and break a stud, or did the arm itself actually break?

If it just came loose and broke the stud, remove the stud, clean everything, replace and bolt it back on. Then make a habit of checking the bolts/studs on a regular basis.

If the arm itself broke.... well than is NOT a normal occurrence, but anything can develop and crack and break. High steer arms are on a fair amount of stress.

Pictures?

I'm confused. Did it just come loose and break a stud, or did the arm itself actually break?

If it just came loose and broke the stud, remove the stud, clean everything, replace and bolt it back on. Then make a habit of checking the bolts/studs on a regular basis.

If the arm itself broke.... well than is NOT a normal occurrence, but anything can develop and crack and break. High steer arms are on a fair amount of stress.

Pictures?
Pics soon, it physically broke right behind first stud, back 2 studs are still tight.

Sounds like you had a loose front stud and the arm pivoted a bit around the "lever". Probably had been loose for a bit and developed a stress fracture.

Fractures become cracks. Cracks become breaks. Good thing that it did it when you were at home. Also good thing it didn't happen while driving. **** happens, but that would have really sucked.

Sounds like you had a loose front stud and the arm pivoted a bit around the "lever". Probably had been loose for a bit and developed a stress fracture.

Fractures become cracks. Cracks become breaks. Good thing that it did it when you were at home. Also good thing it didn't happen while driving. **** happens, but that would have really sucked.

Thats exactly what happened, I don't drive it much on the road, but damn that could've been ugly.

Yeah that's the weakest point too. Partsmike is where I get mine. Never had an issue. Hang that on the garage wall :awesomework:

Photos don't ever do justice to the actual view of an item, but, that looks like it's a cast piece of metal, and not a forged piece?

Forged, an old poison spider brand.
More like 'billet', machined from a solid piece of metal.

Definitely a weak point there. Not an issue but like HOS said, if the front bolt got loose an s-ton of bending force in all directions will be concentrated right on that exact spot.

Lucky find.

The end part looks like it has some resent damage but the break itself looks like it has been broken for awhile as it looks all rusty could just be fresh mud or something...

The end part looks like it has some resent damage but the break itself looks like it has been broken for awhile as it looks all rusty could just be fresh mud or something...

Some old rusty crap , but mostly fresh mud. Anywhere local (seattle area ) to pick up a new one?

Who installed/drilled/machined them?

If a stud hole was not drilled in the correct alignment/pattern then it could be the machinists fault, not the parts.

One cone pulling/pushing differently than the others is almost worse than the stress of wheeling and big tires.

If this is the case expect the same results with new parts if the knuckle is not corrected.

Who installed/drilled/machined them?

If a stud hole was not drilled in the correct alignment/pattern then it could be the machinists fault, not the parts.

One cone pulling/pushing differently than the others is almost worse than the stress of wheeling and big tires.

If this is the case expect the same results with new parts if the knuckle is not corrected.
It was done correctly, I have beat the living piss outta this d44, 39.5 for 3yrs, and currently 37's for past 2 yrs.
And my right foot has a 100lb weight on it. Just neglect on my part, front stud came loose, then cracked.I just hope I can extract the broken stud without removing knuckle,

Last edited:
It was done correctly, I have beat the living piss outta this d44, 39.5 for 3yrs, and currently 37's for past 2 yrs.
And my right foot has a 100lb weight on it. Just neglect on my part, front stud came loose, then cracked.I just hope I can extract the broken stud without removing knuckle,

Removing the knuckle is really quite easy. And I'd expect that broken stud is hard as fawk. I'd weld it before I drilled it.