• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dad and Isabelle do Wallace

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
So, for our first Daddy daughter Jeep trip, Isabelle and I decided to attend the Jeep Jamboree in Wallace, Idaho. After scrambling to install the new engine on Wednesday night, we got loaded up and headed out. I gave her one of those point and click digital cameras to record the trip, and we were on our way.

Most of this trip will be viewed from the lens of a 6 year old. Enjoy.

Seconds after giving her the camera and showing her how to work it.
DSC06724_zpsgnlay1ti.jpg

The obligatory photo of me before we set off.
DSC06725_zpslcte0dpg.jpg

What she was really interested in on the drive over. I told her she couldn't watch it till we got to the road with the "90" on it. Took her a while to figure it out.
DSC06733_zpsfnrxzdic.jpg

So she looked at the scenery and took photos while she waited.
DSC06743_zpsquelvzdj.jpg

DSC06747_zps2ymgz00g.jpg

And she read books.
DSC06752_zpsfvg0ck5q.jpg

DSC06759_zpswi6sq0iw.jpg

When she finally got to the "90" road, she watched movies. (Good lord I am bald)
DSC06765_zpsih0o8jn7.jpg

And took selfies.
DSC06768_zpsohlgvaxs.jpg

And more photos of the scenery.
DSC06778_zpsga7ej4tz.jpg

Some photos of the mountains she wanted to drive up in the jeep.
DSC06785_zps5volsqix.jpg

Great shot of her finger.
DSC06788_zpspry8rru7.jpg

Moses lake. (photo hosting site righted the picture, but it was sideways)
DSC06797_zpsldqupmlp.jpg

More selfies.
DSC06806_zpsxuytussr.jpg

Arrival at the tech site.
DSC06823_zps9frmq0xa.jpg

We got to tech and registration and the conversation was amusing. A gentleman came over to my rig and started asking questions. He was rather flabbergasted after walking up to my rig.
"So you have tow points?"
Yes
"How much lift? You can't have over 6 inches of lift"
Well there is 5 inches of up travel in the shocks, so let's call it 5.
"You have lockers?"
Yes, front and rear
"Are those mud tires or all terrain tires?"
Lets call them mud tires
"Do you have a low range transfer case?"
Yes, two.
"how big are those tires?" (the writing was worn off the sidewalls)
37, I've got a tape measure in the truck if you want.
"No sir, that will be fine"
"on a scale of one to ten what is your level of off road expierience"
"sir, that's the highest rating we give, and your vehicle doesn't seem like you have that much experience, it's basically destroyed"
"okay, you passed tech, please proceed to registration"

So after tech, and signing up for our trail, we headed to downtown Wallace (the center of the universe, btw) and saw the sights, had some killer bbq, and then went swimming at the hotel pool.

In the morning we got breakfast and lined up for our run.
DSC06829_zpszgbk6adf.jpg

Someone is super stoked to go play.
DSC06833_zpsulv9f7e6.jpg

Line up and ready to go.
DSC06834_zpsi4j6s5jq.jpg

Isabelle is a huge fan of yellow cars, every time we saw a yellow jeep, she had to let everyone know.
DSC06835_zpsdn5nkjxr.jpg

Apparently someone gave her some stickers to apply to my rig. (Thanks guys)
DSC06837_zpsuhryphr1.jpg

Heading up the first trail (grouse gulch). All in all it was a phenomenal trail. You drove up an active creek for about 6 miles. At the top is about a 3.5 foot waterfall you have to drive up. It was loose with lots of logs. Really good time. Too bad it is open for permit only, cause I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Anywho, the start of the trail.
DSC06839_zpsxztxpam9.jpg

DSC06841_zpsrlnbhkik.jpg

Making the turn into the creek.
DSC06848_zpsliyrlmcc.jpg

Rigs behind us.
DSC06849_zpsuo4tmczv.jpg

I told Isabelle about all the controls in the jeep and said she could be my "locker and brake man" so she took pictures of the switches and cutting brake so she could "remember" how to use them. It was really fun to sit on a small hill and watch her hold the brake, lose interest and forget and then panic to stop the jeep as it started rolling.
DSC06860_zpson7yr8qc.jpg

DSC06864_zpsfbt2o0tp.jpg

Shots she took of the water.
DSC06867_zpspfiyyd9n.jpg

Good shot of the group.
DSC06871_zpspkeggzwc.jpg

Having fun. The trail guides were razzing her pretty good, so she took to throwing peanuts at them.
DSC06872_zpsrihwhavp.jpg

Ben, the organizer/coordinator of the event. I'm sure all the squirrels will be fed for a long time with all the peanuts she threw at him.
DSC06882_zpsxzkoapit.jpg

You guessed it, yellow Jeep.
DSC06888_zpsyaexfhqh.jpg

DSC06892_zpsym6voyjw.jpg

In this photo you can see the main trail to the right, we took the bonus line to the left. I make the kiddo squeal a few times. It was phenomenal.
DSC06897_zpsomgvufrk.jpg

Selfie with yellow Jeep in the background.
DSC06906_zpsfekl8lfu.jpg

We found this cool tree. Dad took the picture with a potato.
DSC06909_zps8tnhea6o.jpg

This was the highlight obstacle on the trail (the waterfall). I was going to take the camera from the kiddo, but saw she was really trying to get good shots, so I let her run with it. She got a few good ones in there.
DSC06911_zpspx6pcfy9.jpg

DSC06912_zpskpuzxbhp.jpg

DSC06913_zpsj7ntxzuu.jpg

The final climb of the day up a very loose shale hill. I discovered about 15 feet up that I had WAY too much air in my tires and had to stop and air down in the middle of the hill. There was much heckling about me being the "big dog" as everyone passed me. After getting to the top (there were 4 other Timber Tamers on the run) and getting razzed pretty good, I did a bunch of front wheel drive doughnuts with Isabelle running the cutting brakes to show off for the crowd.
DSC06914_zps2ygoynv6.jpg

Day two. Isabelle got a little spooked on the previous day, so she wanted to sign up for the easiest trail there. We got signed up and ready for the day.
DSC06915_zpso1fygkw2.jpg

Staging in the morning in downtown Mullan.
DSC06918_zpsarcrabfr.jpg

Headed to the trails.
DSC06922_zpsba5s2suw.jpg

You guessed it, yellow jeep.
DSC06924_zpsp3uicypy.jpg

First stop of the day.
DSC06925_zpsh56fb6dd.jpg

Isabelle taking pictures of one of the switchbacks.
DSC06933_zpsezg0bxlc.jpg

DSC06934_zpskdsykyxy.jpg

Being silly with her binoculars.
DSC06944_zpsup0jaicp.jpg

At the top of one of the hills. This trail climbed some elevation and fast. Not so hard or technical, but you basically drove straight up all day.
DSC06945_zps1yi9aeny.jpg

DSC06949_zpsnh5v7gvs.jpg

Last edited:
Getting out to watch folks attempt the hillclimb of the trail. A few folks bypassed it, but everyone that tried made it up.
DSC06951_zpswhqgttrn.jpg

She wants to come back here for next years christmass tree.
DSC06953_zpsc0mypr69.jpg

The ominous hillclimb of doom. I had to keep reminding myself these folks don't wheel like I do and this is pretty hardcore stuff for them.
DSC06955_zpsgohocm3a.jpg

One of the guys getting himself psyched up to do it.
DSC06957_zpshskgm9dx.jpg

Cool old 5 (6 maybe?) at the top.
DSC06960_zpswdaqe73u.jpg

Lunch stop.
DSC06962_zpss5yaxjc1.jpg

DSC06967_zpsadtvu4ch.jpg

We weren't hungry so we went on a hike while folks were having lunch.
DSC06969_zpslszsedcw.jpg

Isabelle picking out more christmas trees.
DSC06971_zpsf4fohvmj.jpg

We found this cool old tree.
DSC06975_zpsvzjjvhbn.jpg

Go where few have gone before. Only in a jeep. :roflmao:
DSC06976_zpsdpz8gioc.jpg

Ready to head out after lunch.
DSC06977_zps4b7jfnxd.jpg

She farted. It was bad.
DSC06978_zpsdyjvxmtc.jpg

Cool flatty. I'd wheel it.
DSC06980_zpsx8mo9ggq.jpg

Group stopped at an abandoned mine. There were a bunch of cool rocks there. Isabelle brought home a bunch of green (copper) ones. It was really neat.
DSC06982_zpsz9bjmks7.jpg

DSC06985_zpsrfg8f17d.jpg

The highest point we got to. It was WAY up there.
DSC06987_zps0piwnagf.jpg

Looking down on the town and I-90.
DSC06989_zpsfa30m5tp.jpg

At dinner we found this stump. Dad and his potato again.
DSC06990_zpsghoqntd6.jpg

Another cool 5.
DSC06992_zpsd2dbthen.jpg

Rigs lined up at dinner.
DSC06994_zpsck56jwpt.jpg

Last photo she took. After dinner we had the cannonball championship of the world at the hotel pool.
DSC06998_zps3rke6wvs.jpg

All in all this trip kicked ass. Not the hard wheeling I'm normally up for, but it was a great trip to bring the kiddo on for her first real wheeling adventure.

I can't say enough about the Jeep Jamboree crew that put this on. You get 3 damn good meals a day and guided trail runs. I highly recommend it. The trails were very cool and the guides knew a lot about the area. Grouse gulch trail itself was phenomenal. It will test you even locked on 40's if you do the bonus lines.

If you are looking for a really awesome time, sign up for next year. The people of Wallace and Mullan were very accommodating one even bought parts for our club out of his own pocket when we learned the auto parts store was going to close before we got there. There is lots of silver mining history/exploring to do there, and it isn't too far away from home.

This whole Jamboree experience really felt like family. There were lots of families with kids to old geezers in 1940's jeeps. I will be back. :thumbsup:

Wallace is a great town to stop in. A lot of breweries for how small of a town it is. Last time I was there we did the mine tour, its not that long but was still very cool. You can't beat a place that gives you a keg cup at the bar if you wont to walk around town.

Sounds like a great time! I have toured several of the mines around Wallace it is a great place for sure!

Latest posts