• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Daily Driving with assist

RockHales

Long story short,good friend of mine sas'ed a Tacoma with all the right parts but did not go with hydro assist (it is not a trailer qween,it gets driven to and from the trails and some DD). He has been told by two online company's he can't street drive with hydro assist. Idk which two told him that but please throw your opinions out so I can show him they are fawcking nuts,or that I am one :****: Back drop,Tacoma on 35's trail gear Sas kit with coil overs. He has a bad shoulder and that the whole point is I'm trying to help him turn the wheel better. Thanks.

Re:

They are nuts.
McMinn drove his yj at 60mph+ with tons and assist.

Peter and girlfriend new drive it and said it handles great

Technically speaking its probably not illegal since there is a mechanical backup. But still a tad bit unsafe. Would I drive one with hydro assist on the street? Yes, knowing I might have a problem at some point, I'd have spare hoses, caps for the pump and cylinder, and a little extra fluid in the toolbox

what does every one else say?

With 40's mine drove like a dream up to 60. It won't go any faster. :driving: It drives better even on road with the assist, than without it.

I daily drove a Toyota with assist for years. Assist ram is the best steering stabilizer there is!

Just don't put a huge ram on it that will slow the steering down, the internal valve in a steering box isn't really made to flow the extra oil for the ram.

What steering pump/box setup does he have on it now?

IMO the companies "can't" recommend their products for street use for liability reasons.

If it has assist and blows a hose and loses fluid it's no different than blowing a regular hose with non assist. End result is no power steering. This just for liability purposes I would think.

I daily drive a TJ with PSC hydro assist and it is great. I've driven a couple of full hydro TJ's on the street and that is a whole other animal. Hydro assist is fine.

Mine does fine what little pavement it sees. Colby Bean drives his ZJ everywhere on tons and 40s and its full hydro now, was assist for years.

One of my boss's has been daily driving and trail riding a jk with hydro assist. Only issue we have had was the ram bolt stripped out of the aluminum housing. We replaced it with a different bracket made of steel and had no more issues.

Assist will deffinetly not be a problem! depending on how the system is setup full hydro is no physical problem either! Legally full hydro is a no go but assist is perfectly legal! Several companies sell assist kits for big lift trucks!

Most yer old hauler trucks have assist. Hell even newer ones. I've ran full hydro 75mph one hand on the wheel. Take yer time an do it right. Assist will be fine

If your steering system doesn't work for the street then it doesn't belong on the trail either..

This "if you blow a line" horse **** is just that.

What if you blow a brake line, what if you blow a fuel line, what if you drop a tie rod end, what if a suspension link fails....

All can be fatal.

Hydro assist should not be a problem but like said before, I'd carry spare hydro parts for it (just in case) plus I would not cheap out on hoses or clamps, just to be on the safe side.
It should drive fine on the road. Back in the day my brother and me drove a cab truck with full hydro on the road...it was fine as long as you planed your turns and stayed under 55mph....but that was before we new better and didn't have a trailer to haul it around on

Latest posts