• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 35 yoke problems

slednecks1124

Hey guys,

I've got a 93 jeep wrangler with stock axles (dana 30 front and 35 rear), I keep having a problem with the pinion yoke breaking. The rear still has the cheesy strap style retainers for the u-joints. This last weekend was the first wheelin trip since i welded up the spider gears in the rear an the yoke was the first thing to fail.

Seems whenever i get on it real hard this happens, the tabs that hold the u-joint from going side to side keep breaking off and the bolts that hold the straps to the yoke break as well which results in the driveline coming undone from the rear end.

I have been doing a little research on the net and it sounds like the u-bolt style straps is the way to go and should cure such problems. I was also told that a yoke from a dana 44 will also work and is a little beefier (also already has u bolt style straps). Anybody have any useful advice for such problem?

I am going to get a new yoke an convert it to the u bolt style straps this week just wondering if there is something else that may help this problem.

I know the dana 44 swap or something may be the best bet but I'm just purchasing a new house so that is out of the question at the moment.

what does your pinion angle look like, also are you SOA or still stock SUA? Any lift?? etc..

More than likely you have axle wrap.:cool:

Ok, this applies, so I'll add it here. On the subject of the strap style U joint clamps. Are they ok, or do I need to convert to the U bolt style? If I need to convert, what is required to do that? (95 YJ, stock running gear).

Cheap way. Drill out the holes and use u-bolts.

Will this truly hold or will it weaken the yoke?

Are the bolt holes the same distance apart as needed for the U-bolts.

I was considering doing the same thing but was advised not to, and just replace with the proper yoke.

Will this truly hold or will it weaken the yoke?

Are the bolt holes the same distance apart as needed for the U-bolts.

I was considering doing the same thing but was advised not to, and just replace with the proper yoke.

changing the yoke is a better plan, when you drill out the holes for the ubolts you take away a lot of material and therfore strength. Its a good trail type fix but only for the short term.

I do have the traction bars w/ bump stops for the axle wrap.

SOA, lift shackles, 1 1/2" body lift with stock leaf springs. I am running 35" BFG mud terrains.

Pics of the traction bar setup, please? The rear u-joint/straps/yoke etc were the first to go on my rig without an anti-wrap bar. Never a problem after I built one.

Also, you can't just drill the yokes out larger for the u-bolt style straps... the holes do not line up, and there is not enough material left in the yoke after drilling (well, not enough for me anyway). Get the right yoke, you can yank them off of lots of axles in the junk yard (D44 yokes will also work, like Jonathan said) or just order one from Randy's R&P.

Oh yeah... and that welded D35 is going to go boom on you, probably on the street when you take a hard corner.

I would have to take some pictures later on, my jeep is sittin at a buddies house right now.

I had a little bit of axle wrap so i got some bump stops for the traction bars to help that problem. Buddy of minne said he had the same problem with his jeep until he converted it to the u-bolt style straps, since then he hass had no problems.

What is the best set up for traction bars? Anybody else have some picturers of a good set up?