• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 44 and dana 44a.....

milleman

got a "?" for all of you guys is there a difference between the dana 44 and the dana 44a? " out of a grand cherokee" BESIDE THE HOUSING will the ring and pionion the same? and will a locker out of a dana 44, work for the 44a?

thanks josh

No. The Dana 44HD or 44a is the same ring and pinion they use in Dodge Vipers. The pinion is equivalent to the Dana 60 pinion whereas the iron 44 uses the same yoke as the Dana 30.

The Dana 44a with either an Aussie or Spartan locker is good to 35 inch tires. You can mill at least. 375 off the bottom of the aluminum center section from rock use and still not have a problem. I wheeled mine hard for over a year and it put up with me. My good to 35s rule for the 44a is not just my opinion but a general consensus amongst ZJ wheelers nation wide. The only people who hate the 44a are people with no experience with them or are trying to sell you something else. Once locked the 44a will tend to eat carrier bearings faster than an iron 44. A minor con in my opinion.

That said the iron 44 is technically a better axle with more aftermarket support and better rigidity than the 44a. The iron 44 or an 8.8 are a better choice in the long run.

Going to be doing brackets and such anyway, go with something else. If you are a ZJ wheeler do not hesitate to grab a 44a and bolt it under your Grand in place of the 35. Make sure you get one with an open carrier as LSD carriers will not accept a lunchbox locker. Finally, don't bother with alloy shafts in the 44a. Leave the weak point at the shafts and save the carrier, its an easier break to deal with. A 44a failing under 35s with a lunchbox locker is very rare.

I heart Captain Morgans.

I see a lot of trade ins.

And almost every 44a (Grand Cherokee) needs to have the carrier bearings replaced, as the differential makes noise.

i have a geand with the 44A in it thats why i was asking i wanted to put a locker in it but all the lockers i found dont say if it would work or wouldnt in the 44A but one.

i have a geand with the 44A in it thats why i was asking i wanted to put a locker in it but all the lockers i found dont say if it would work or wouldnt in the 44A but one.

Buy a real jeep then worry about a locker:fawkdancesmiley:

I was involved with a Co. considering building a locker for the 44a. After a ton of research, the engineers found that the axle has so many issues with warranty and failed bearings that they didn't want anything to do with it. There is a real art to setting these things up properly and the OE wasn't even good at it.