• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 ball joint axle

Re: Dana 60 ball joint axle

blacksheep10 said:
We've done well with BJ's. Buy good ball joints and rock out. See what BJ's dynatrac uses and get those. I've not really seen a broken bj knuckle, I've seen lots of broken KP knuckles first hand, meaning my 2 buddies with HP's ended up with plated or reids after a break, none of the BJ's in our group have given up.

I put Dynatrac Pro-Steer BJ's in my new build. They we're almost $600/pair, they better be worth it. Lol. At least they're rebuildable.

Re:

Im running a 95 bj ford axle in my yj. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but from looking at it I believe that there is enough meat on top of them to mill it flat and the drill/tap/ key and bolt high steer arms on. Much like they are doing with the super duty axles. Hopefully ill get time soon to give it a shot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Re:

09zkrankin said:
Im running a 95 bj ford axle in my yj. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but from looking at it I believe that there is enough meat on top of them to mill it flat and the drill/tap/ key and bolt high steer arms on. Much like they are doing with the super duty axles. Hopefully ill get time soon to give it a shot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

You can get a little D44 high steer arm on there but the top caliper mounting hole takes up too much room on top of the knuckle to do anything else. I tried to get He-Man fab to machine my knuckles and make hi-steer arms for them and he told me that there is no way to do it and make it strong enough. I trust his opinion period, no need to question that issue further imo.

Re:

Neal3000 said:
You can get a little D44 high steer arm on there but the top caliper mounting hole takes up too much room on top of the knuckle to do anything else. I tried to get He-Man fab to machine my knuckles and make hi-steer arms for them and he told me that there is no way to do it and make it strong enough. I trust his opinion period, no need to question that issue further imo.

X2

Ryan has a good idea of what will hold and what won't.

Basically the only option for getting high steer, ball joints, and standard serviceable wheel bearings is to put a "Free Spin" type kit on a 99-04 style unit bearing knuckle.

you can also get bolt on 40 spline spindles for the 99-04 axles. (these use bearing hubs, not unit bearings)
SA60-F40-400.jpg

99-04 knuckles, Welded on and tied in to the factory steer arm. Used 3"x 1/2" cold rolled cut down for the arms. Removed the upper ball joint, cleaned, preheated, welded and cooled slow. Hanging in there so far, could be the bling hammered paint though.

Re: Dana 60 ball joint axle

My old buggy had the same knuckles and was done similar to that. It had plate gussets tying the arm, knuckle, and bolt sleeve all together.

This isn't a good pic, but you can kinda see what I'm talking about.

Dana 60 ball joint axle

The 2nd Gen Dodge knuckles I'm using on my new buggy have a very high factory steering arm.

And the unit bearing bolt pattern is the same as Ford. The distance from the center of the BJ to the bearing flange is a lot shorter though. You could use Dodge knuckles with Ford bearings but it would require custom length stubs. I'm sticking with the Dodge unit bearings though with Dodge style 300M stubs from CTM.

Re: Re: Re: Dana 60 ball joint axle

blacksheep10 said:
On my 94 BJ 60 I'd swear the steering point was about 3" higher than the 99 up SD axles. If you steer on top of them I was thinking they were pretty good.

It is, Neal just sucks at driving lol

blacksheep10 said:
On my 94 BJ 60 I'd swear the steering point was about 3" higher than the 99 up SD axles. If you steer on top of them I was thinking they were pretty good.

Its slightly above the midline of the housing, its ok i just need to get used to it and protect it a little better i think

I had one in my old yj and beat it. 42 TSLs held up. The housing is for sale now with high steer arms and all. If anyone wants to buy one ready to bolt in.