• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 pinon cover

garagefab$

so no one makes a dana 60 pinion cover and I want to after seeing rattle rock. I watched a couple dudes slam into their 14 bolt ones and they just plain saved the day. so my plan is to get the block machined and build the rest. does anyone out there have machining skills that could make me a couple. can you quote me on the cost of QTY 2 machined pieces to make a Dana 60 pinion guard (Mild steel) or what you recommend. I just want to get the block of metal machined and I can take care of the rest. block of 1in machined to fit over the pinion then machined in the back to fit over the oil passage. I can take care of the drilling and tapping and also cutting it in half. Then I can bend up some plate and weld it to it. i can get you more specific measurements and also a drawing if we go forward with it.

What is the diameter of the casting, around the pinion seal? Is it stright (same diameter ) or tapered? For the 1" you are wanting bored?

What about it trying to pull off if you were to back over something? Is that the purpose of the top plate tying the block to the truss?

Depending on cost I might be interested in one for a D70HD (if that helps production).

Could also do something like this:

F50113515.jpg

Someone have/get a pic of the oil passage? I would be willing to whittle down a couple 1" blocks when I get back home in a couple weeks if this isn't a time sensitive thing.

Seems you wouldn't want too much material hanging down to get caught on stuff over the oil passage.

Ill dig out the crayons and draw up a sketch. Be back in a few.

2d8b7e018de2a802f87ae2a1a7754de5.jpg

Bore would be offset, and cut out to clear the oil passage. Weld the bottom plate/skid/yoke protector on to strengthen the 2 lower pieces. Bevel the back edge of the plate to avoid a hanger, and add side plates. Just my crayon drawing attempt without having/seeing a rear 60.

ill get some measurements today and try to draw something up. I think that bracing it off the truss should help out with keeping it in place during hits or backing up. the only thing im worried about is taking a hard hit and cracking the cast where the bearing is.