• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DBBB - Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway - Near Slade, KY

Re:

Map works great, but the route is pretty much 2 roads that need 4wd in a stock jeep and a bunch of pavement.

Hopefully once Hollerwood opens it'll be on carto

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

just a heads up for anyone looking to go wheeling in the Daniel Boone, in addition to the Daniel Boone Back Country Byway, there is now two parks operating in the area. Hollerwood Off Road comprises over 2500 acres of county and private leased land with some very good rock crawling and trail riding.

If anyones interested in making a trip, feel free to hit up the Kentucky Krawlers, or Ohio River Four Wheelers, both are local clubs that consider Slade their home wheeling area and have regular rides!

justwes said:
just a heads up for anyone looking to go wheeling in the Daniel Boone, in addition to the Daniel Boone Back Country Byway, there is now two parks operating in the area. Hollerwood Off Road comprises over 2500 acres of county and private leased land with some very good rock crawling and trail riding. and there is also Boneyard Hollow, 700+ acres of oil company land with plans to expand to nearly 3000 acres in the future.

If anyones interested in making a trip, feel free to hit up the Kentucky Krawlers, or Ohio River Four Wheelers, both are local clubs that consider Slade their home wheeling area and have regular rides!

Do you need to be tagged and insured like Slade?

poolman said:
Do you need to be tagged and insured like Slade?

Not inside the confines of the offroad parks. There are some county roads that are included within the parks but from my understanding, the local governments and the parks have an understanding. I would caution that there has been talk of road blocks after dark for "Safety checks" but I did not see any a few weeks ago when I was there. We hit Widowmaker, Holiday Hill, Gatekeeper, and went over to Townsend cave. There are a lot of sidexsides running that area. I have even seen them running up and down highway 11 near Zacariah and Zoe.

scooter60 said:
Not inside the confines of the offroad parks. There are some county roads that are included within the parks but from my understanding, the local governments and the parks have an understanding. I would caution that there has been talk of road blocks after dark for "Safety checks" but I did not see any a few weeks ago when I was there. We hit Widowmaker, Holiday Hill, Gatekeeper, and went over to Townsend cave. There are a lot of sidexsides running that area. I have even seen them running up and down highway 11 near Zacariah and Zoe.

i saw some videos on youtube of those trails. Are they part of a park or just random trails on public accessible land?

I remember the first time I went to harlan/black mountain. We got to Evarts at like 2AM and basically all I knew was that you could camp in the field just past the prison, and the trails started at the end of BaileyCreek Rd. there wasn't any infrastructure related to the "park" at all, not sure if there were even permits and maps available either?

TBItoy said:
i saw some videos on youtube of those trails. Are they part of a park or just random trails on public accessible land?

I remember the first time I went to harlan/black mountain. We got to Evarts at like 2AM and basically all I knew was that you could camp in the field just past the prison, and the trails started at the end of BaileyCreek Rd. there wasn't any infrastructure related to the "park" at all, not sure if there were even permits and maps available either?

Edit

After further thought, I am not sure the Widowmaker is part of Hollerwood. It may be part of the National Forest.

I am just learning about this area and really dont know much. I'm afraid I may be giving wrong info and I dont want to steer anyone wrong. I have ridden in this area about four or five times in the past couple years and have not had any issues with law enforcement. I have antique plates on my rig and carry insurance(sometimes). I have been on the trails numerous times with people that are not licensed or insured and have not had any issues.

Sorry if I have given any wrong info.

Could i take a 4x4 3500 dually truck and ride that trail? I would like to take my wife for a scenic ride, but she will not go 4 wheeling.

scooter60 said:
After further thought, I am not sure the Widowmaker is part of Hollerwood. It may be part of the National Forest.

I am just learning about this area and really dont know much. I'm afraid I may be giving wrong info and I dont want to steer anyone wrong. I have ridden in this area about four or five times in the past couple years and have not had any issues with law enforcement. I have antique plates on my rig and carry insurance(sometimes). I have been on the trails numerous times with people that are not licensed or insured and have not had any issues.

Sorry if I have given any wrong info.

Is widowmaker a creek bed trail with about a 5' ledge half way through?

It is a boulder filled creek bed that is a great little trail. 43" stickies make short work of it when dry. I dont have much experience when full of water but I am sure it makes it more interesting. There isn't much of a vertical climb to it but there are a few ledges. The tallest being 3 feet or so. There is a large triangle shaped rock on the right side of the trail they call "Tombstone". Cool obstical but not super difficult. The Ohio River Four Wheelers and Kentucky Krawkers call this area home and know it very well. There are several rides a year there that are open to anyone and offer guided rides in several difficulty levels. I have seen everything from subaru's to M&M Fab buggies wheel this area.

https://youtu.be/JXGRtBPQu8U
This is Tombstone on wore out 39.5's.

The tallest climb on Widowmaker.
https://youtu.be/yF1CwUT5AGQ

extremetownie said:
Could i take a 4x4 3500 dually truck and ride that trail? I would like to take my wife for a scenic ride, but she will not go 4 wheeling.

id advise not to, it could be possible, but you would likely damage the hips on the daniel boone being that wide. but there are several gravel roads in the area you wouldnt have an issue on.

As far as widowmaker is concerned it is within the confines of hollerwood, and yes its a boulder filled creekbed with a 4-5 ft ledge about a 1/8 of the way up the creek.

justwes said:
As far as widowmaker is concerned it is within the confines of hollerwood, and yes its a boulder filled creekbed with a 4-5 ft ledge about a 1/8 of the way up the creek.
This is good to know. Thanks!

Copied and pasted from Hollerwood's Facebook page.

Hollerwood Park is owned and operated by the Multi County Recreational Board comprised of members appointed from each county by the county Judge and Fiscal Court. The Board is a non profit governmental agency. The goal is to develop the property as a premier off-roading destination. This is solely to help the local economies of the 4 counties involved where it is much needed, Estill, Lee, Wolfe and Powell. All the dollars generated stay in our local economy, not sent to a corporation or out of state owners or entities. We are not into this to make a huge profit,(we are a non profit organization). We just want to pay the bills and bring outside tourism dollars into our area and keep it here.Our goal is to become self sustaining where we won't have to depend on the individual counties to pay for everything. It looks like we are on our way to achieving that goal and we sincerely appreciate everyone who have bought passes and other items from us. Thanks to all the volunteers who have helped us and continue to support us with their volunteer efforts. We are glad to see the positive impact it is already having on the local businesses.

DBBB is in this same general area.

scooter60 said:
Copied and pasted from Hollerwood's Facebook page.

Hollerwood Park is owned and operated by the Multi County Recreational Board comprised of members appointed from each county by the county Judge and Fiscal Court. The Board is a non profit governmental agency. The goal is to develop the property as a premier off-roading destination. This is solely to help the local economies of the 4 counties involved where it is much needed, Estill, Lee, Wolfe and Powell. All the dollars generated stay in our local economy, not sent to a corporation or out of state owners or entities. We are not into this to make a huge profit,(we are a non profit organization). We just want to pay the bills and bring outside tourism dollars into our area and keep it here.Our goal is to become self sustaining where we won't have to depend on the individual counties to pay for everything. It looks like we are on our way to achieving that goal and we sincerely appreciate everyone who have bought passes and other items from us. Thanks to all the volunteers who have helped us and continue to support us with their volunteer efforts. We are glad to see the positive impact it is already having on the local businesses.

DBBB is in this same general area.

TBItoy said:
That's awesome.

Looks like KY has their stuff together when it comes to promoting off road recreation.

Coudln't agree more with your statement. I wish some of the Tennessee Counties would go in together for stuff like this too.

Some counties have absolutely figured out its better to promote our hobby, in a controlled environment and generate revenue for their counties, than try to fight tooth and nail. cant thank those counties enough for their efforts. I'm looking forward to the future of wheeling in Kentucky and really hope it gets people from other parts of the country making a point to come wheel here also.

and Paul I see youre from Mt. Washington, I live in Lexington, went school in anderson kinda close to bullitt co. are you planning to come down for the SFWDA ride in november? Kentucky Krawlers (Kentucky off roading club) has a weekend planned in december as well in hollerwood.

Latest posts