• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

deaths at Wa dunes

SoCal Redneck

Idaho boy dies in one of a rash of ATV accidents

10:03 AM MDT on Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Associated Press

GRANT CO., WA - Two people are dead and one seriously injured following separate episodes at sand dunes in Grant County Washington, raising the recent death toll to three in Columbia Basin off-road recreation areas.

Spencer Whitman, 10, of Newcastle, was pronounced dead Sunday morning following an all-terrain vehicle accident at the sand dunes near Beverly in the western part of the county.

According to witnesses, the boy was wearing a helmet when he lost control of the quad-runner at a high rate of speed, Deputy Coroner Lynette Henson said.

"He made a jump with the vehicle in the hardpan area of the sand dunes park," sheriff's Deputy John Turley said. "The impact of the strike forced the ten-year-old into the handlebars and the hard ground."

Parents of the boy said he was an experienced rider.

On the same day, about 15 milers to the east, David R. Row, 64, of Federal Way, WA, collapsed while trying to dislodge his motorcycle after it got stuck in a sandy spot on a race course during a hill climb in the dunes near Royal City, Turley reported.

Speed and trauma did not appear to be involved, and Row likely had a heart attack, Henson said.

Autopsies on the bodies of Whitman and Row were pending.

In a third case, a 5-year-old boy was seriously injured while riding with his father on a recreational vehicle in the sand dunes eight miles south of Moses Lake. The father escaped injury, but the boy was taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane for treatment to a lacerated liver, a punctured lung and severe lung bruising.

"As they traversed a large sand dune, the quad-runner flipped and both dad and son went over backwards," Turley said.

Meanwhile, at least 25 accidents resulting in injury were reported Saturday and Sunday at the Horn Rapids Off-Road Vehicle Park in Richland, where a 12-year-old boy died a week earlier.

"If we had a boxing tournament with these kinds of injuries, it'd be shut down in a hurry," said Dr. Steven J. Kincaid, a surgeon who treated some of the injured at Kadlec Medical Center in Richland.

One teenage boy was transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment of a head injury with internal bleeding, Kincaid said.

On March 17, Blake Webb of Rathdrum, Idaho, was practicing on the Horn Rapids course when he crashed his motorcycle over a double jump and was hit by another rider, Douglas Wold, 19, of Walla Walla, who made the jump and was unable to stop after landing just in front of the fallen boy.

Four men attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation but were unable to revive Blake and he died at the scene.

"Parents may be enthusiastic (about their children riding motocross), but to me this is a public nuisance," Kincaid said.

With protective gear required for all riders at the ORV park, 25 injury crashes on a race weekend "seems like a lot," Richland fire Battalion Chief Curt Walsh said. "We consider it a dangerous sport."

More supervision of the young riders is needed, Walsh said.

"We wouldn't let these kids ride a motorcycle this way on pavement, but for some reason it is different on an ORV course," he said.

"Parents may be enthusiastic (about their children riding motocross), but to me this is a public nuisance," Kincaid said.

With protective gear required for all riders at the ORV park, 25 injury crashes on a race weekend "seems like a lot," Richland fire Battalion Chief Curt Walsh said. "We consider it a dangerous sport."

More supervision of the young riders is needed, Walsh said.

"We wouldn't let these kids ride a motorcycle this way on pavement, but for some reason it is different on an ORV course," he said.

Spoken like true uneducated asshats. :mad: :mad:

unfortunately that's how a large amount of them look at it. after being involved in trying to keep the ISDRA dunes open in So Cal for the past 7 years you see just how they operate.

After the kid died at Horn Rapids the city voted to privatize the park. You will now have to pay to ride there soon and we are not sure yet if they are going to keep the 4x4 race course open.

Beverly, although very small with small dunes, can be a dangerous place. The way the sand looks is very decieving there. You can't see the drops before you get to them and they are only between 10' and 30' tall with very hard ground at the bottom of the dunes. I have seen many get hauled out of beverly.

I have heard that the 64 year old recieved CPR for about 40 minutes and other racers stopped to help. This was in the middle of an offroad enduro course not an MX track where medics are nearby.

Just a bad couple weeks, be careful out there folks. Wish me luck and safety on my first Desert 100 in 2 weeks. I just hope to get a finish out of it.

My cousin's ex-wife was the first responder to that 10yr old. He had full gear (helmet, boots, chest plate, etc). After they cut his chest plate and helmet off, she did CPR for like 30 mins before medics arrived. His parents weren't there, he was at the dunes w/a friend and the friends family. :booo:

Yeah that whole thing was horrible, my cousin's kids (boy 8, girl 11) were with the ex watching it go down...

I deal with this type of thing weekly. Sadly the ISDRA dunes here in CA are full of drunks with high hp rails. on average five people either die or are flown out in serious condition per month

I would like to see an average snow skiing weekend injury/death tally in comparison as well. Stuff is dangerous, doesnt mean the govt has to step in on all of it. Ignorance and self righteousness is very angering. I get so tired of the spin every asshat puts on any tragety!:mad:

unfortunately that's what groups like the cbd do. they take these accidents and spin them every which way until it looks like the parties involved were drunken haphazard idiots

I would like to see an average snow skiing weekend injury/death tally in comparison as well. Stuff is dangerous, doesnt mean the govt has to step in on all of it. Ignorance and self righteousness is very angering. I get so tired of the spin every asshat puts on any tragety!:mad:

agreed, i remember an article about a kid riding a longboard down a street and crashing intoa PARKED car. the mom was wanting longboards banned in the state/town/whatever because the LONGBOARD is dangerous. NOT the KID RIDING IT:mad: :rolleyes:

IN regards to "ban this and ban that"....
Somebody's gotta protect us from ourselves :fawkdancesmiley:

in regards to the kids getting hurt and worse...:booo: