• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Decent welder

money_pit_yj

It is well documented that I am not the best at fab work, but I am ready to learn to weld. I can stick weld and make it hold for a long time but it looks like crap. I want to buy a good welder for general stuff. I know everyone is the best fabricator on Hardline and has good info, so what is a good all around mig welder to start with? anybody got any recs for learning resources.

My first (and only) mig machine is a Hobart Handler 210 MVP. I originally picked it because it was capable of 110v or 220v and I didn't have 220v at the time. In my opinion, it's a great little unit. Hasn't let me down yet... (knock on wood).
Weldingtipsandtricks on youtube is a great resource for all things welding. The only thing I haven't seen him do much of is tube welding with mig. Good luck!

Miller 211 great small welder that is super easy to use and has the ablitly to weld up to 3/8 but can also run off of 110 it also has a auto set feature so you just put it on the thickness of material and squzee the trigger

I've been rocking out on my Hobart handler 140.
I didn't have 220 in my shop when I got it and I have since gotten a 220 generator, and kinda wish I had a 110/220 capable machine, but to be honest, with the tube work and under 1/2" fab work I have done it has been great.
I can honestly say it is the most used Christmas present my wife has ever gotten me.
I still drag her out to the shop on occasion to show her what I did with her present. She generally shakes her head, pats my arm and says "that's nice dear, when are you coming inside??" Lol

Check Craigslist for Miller 210s or 212 which would be the newer model. I can say that we have these in a full production shop and have never had a failure in 10 years. There simple to use and you should be able to get consumables anywhere.

Hobart, what ever size you think fits your needs, I ran a 180 (no longer made, went to 190) it was my first big tool purchase and I used the heck out of it. Never had a problem eoth it in about the 10 years I had it till it burned in the shop the other day.

Northern tool usually had some sales going on them. Tractor supply sometimes does too. Tsc also has the gas you need, I never used them but I'd say it's more convenient for most people. Some welding shops aren't open on the weekends

I bought my dad a Hobart 140 from tractor supply so he had something to pudder with. When we had our house fire I lost all power to my shop for a few months and couldn't run my esab210 (220) so I borrowed his Hobart and put my gas bottle on it and ran it with a 4000 watt generator and I built most of my wife's Buggy with it welding .120-.250 material and it did fabulous . Bang for the buck it's a great little machine that will do most work needed on offroad rigs . With that being said I'd stay away from flux core on anything you get

If your just learning or don't plan to do a lot of fab work a 220 machine is kinda overkill and much extra money your gonna spend . But if you decide to then Miller or Lincoln or esab

Re:

I bought a Miller 130 XP used about 5 years ago(probably 10 yrs old now). It's just a 110v machine but even my pro Welder friends have commented on how good a bead it will run.
For anything thicker around the farm I just break out the old Lincoln buzz box & put some boogers on it

jccarter1 said:
Miller 211 great small welder that is super easy to use and has the ablitly to weld up to 3/8 but can also run off of 110 it also has a auto set feature so you just put it on the thickness of material and squzee the trigger

X2 I bought a 211 auto set last year and it's awesome even some buddies that can't weld use it with the auto set and there welds look good.

Re:

If you weld outside on your tractor a lot, disregard the flux core statement. It doesn't take a long time to change from gas to flux and it is a lifesaver when it is windy and you can't get the huge bitch in the shop.

I use a promig 180 220V. It does more than I am capable of using.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I also have a Hobart Handler 210 MVP..

I love it. It really welds awesome.. I bought it cause the price was cheaper over a Miller and I felt like it was better quality than the similar Lincoln Promigs. It has an all aluminum wire driveline instead of plastic like the others and its supposed to only be capable of 3/8" steel, but I've welded 3/8" a couple of time and I didn't have the heat all the way up so I'm sure you could turn it all the way up and burn in some 1/2" plate with a single pass depending on the joint..

I've only ever used 220V since we have it in the shop, but I'm sure it welds fine either way.

I would buy it over and over again..

You should be able to find it on sale at tractor supply and only pay about $850 OTD instead of closer to $1000.

I actually went in the store just to look at the Handler 180, but they had the last display model of the 210 on sale and only paid $740 OTD ;D Which is cheaper than what I could have bought the 180 at retail, but I consider myself lucky on that one!

X2 on the Hobart 140 I use flux core seems to weld better on 5/16-3/8 . I built my whole rig with it an haven't had any issues :****:

Re: Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
If you weld outside on your tractor a lot, disregard the flux core statement. It doesn't take a long time to change from gas to flux and it is a lifesaver when it is windy and you can't get the huge bitch in the shop.

I use a promig 180 220V. It does more than I am capable of using.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Flux core works for sure.

We built this addition on to our shop at work all out of 1/8 and 3/16 tube, welded it out with fluxcore in 2 old Hobart 175s

befaf6622f4df91de56cd946a563c554.jpg

I too have a hobart 140 and built 2 rigs so far with it and runs awesome, prob ran 50lb of wire through it, had it overheat twice i think and shut down but thats was from long welds without any breaks, when i get my shop done i will have a 210. The 140 is awesome though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying there isn't an application for flux core however I am saying if you wanna use it in a rig and look half worth a **** that's my the best option , gas is much cleaner inside

Re:

One of these days I'll learn how to mig and buy one. I spent 6 years as a milwright welding outside with stick welders on galvanized and rusted up farm **** and that's the reason there's a stick welder in my garage. Welded my whole jeep with it and it ain't pretty but the metal rips before the welds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anybody had any experience with an ironman 230 hobart? Wonder if it's worth the extra money or just go with a 210 mvp?

Re: Re: Decent welder

whiskeymakin said:
Anybody had any experience with an ironman 230 hobart? Wonder if it's worth the extra money or just go with a 210 mvp?
If I was buying one for a fab shop, I'd get the 230 because it can run big spools and has a larger heavier gun more suited for production type work.

For a garage/hobby welder I'd get the 210.