• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Deer hunting off-season in a rock quarry?

Money Mark

I was out hiking last weekend and stumbled upon not 1, not 2, but 3 different (couples) guys waiting to shoot a deer (or buck, whatever)......perched atop a rock quarry.

:eeek:

I don't want to "save the deer" and I have no interest in reporting this (if illegal). They were very nice, even though I accidentally snuck-up on them:redneck: I would just like some insight and understanding on the situation.

Is this common? Shooting deer that cross a rock quarry?

I have a vague understanding of the official deer hunting season........are these guys just trying to get some post/pre-season hunting? I highly doubt the quarry owners are allowing it.......they probably just turn a blind eye.

Is hunting this way sportsman like? Is it "illegal" at all?

School this hippy hiker.:hi:

its a little late for dear hunting. but i could be wrong, its been a few years.
If it is out of season, its illegal.

Some areas are open to hunters.. again, without knowing where this was i cannot say if it was a legal area or not.

That being said, i have no problem wiht somebody "poaching" if its to feed the family.
if its for trophy.. i'd turn them in.

Rifle hunting on the wetside was open for halloween weekend.:awesomework:

Personally, I see no reason to sit on a quarry, seems like a waste of time to me. Personally I like hunting recent clearcuts... Newbs maybe? Or maybe they know something I dont?

it was legal hunting. i wouldnt say its a common practice to hunt deer in a quarry. but hell ive seen them quite a bit in multiple different quarrys around here. was there secret wheelin near by If so i know where you were. and that is a good area

With me wearing weather bibs, a backpack and GPS in hand.......I sensed they thought I was "someone official". :haha: One guys even asked if I was surveying........I said, "Kinda....." :; We were very cordial to each other and then I left and let 'em be.:awesomework:

There were 2 kids in the group.....musta been Dad's prepping them for the real hunt.

Last edited:
Muzzle season is open I believe...depends where it's at though. I know I know, secrets...

Secrets should stay a secret.:;

gold-star-big.png

Wow! 2 of those already today!

we hunt near old rock pits...so what...if we cant hunt em u cant hike em..