• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit acting funny?

cstell

i have a clutch pack detroit locker in my rear axle and its been acting really funny lately. It is suposed to disconect around corners but for some reason its stuck in lock on my locker side left. Also my right tire doesnt spin at all. its one wheeler pealer on the left side not the right. On the side that wont spin( the original drive side) im leaking out of the hub so i know thats a seal that whent out. but why wont that tire engage and why is my locker side stuck in?

Are you sure you do not have a broken axle?

Take some things apart and see if a problem is aparent.

And more information. Front or Rear? assuming Toy? upgrades to axle? Tire size? etc....

not sure! its a yota so im probably gunna pull the 3rd member out and take a look it might just be a spring or somthing dropped out my friend said but i do need to replace that seal on the right drive side and see if the splines are gone i might be giving bobby longfield again thats what my front axle has in it and there still kickin

It's not likely, but other than an internal problem in the detroit, a broken axle makes the most sense to me. Does the rear axle try to steer the truck when you hit the gas?

not sure! its a yota so im probably gunna pull the 3rd member out and take a look it might just be a spring or somthing dropped out my friend said but i do need to replace that seal on the right drive side and see if the splines are gone i might be giving bobby longfield again thats what my front axle has in it and there still kickin

Translation? :wtf:

well i have bad alighnment so it pulls to the left but im not sure i just wanted to hear what you guys thought. when you say a broken axle to you thing the frive shaft is out like the splines are shaved

Take it apart and see what you find. Internet diagnostics are only as good as the information supplied.

Broken axle or more correctly a broken axle shaft or drive shaft. You may have stripped the splines or actually managed to break the shaft. You will not know until you pull it apart.

You could have also destroyed the lunch box locker(detroit ez locker) or many other things.

Toyota had a few differnt length rear axle shafts, they interchange and will work BUT they do not have full spline engagement.

Bottom line take it apart and see what you find.

On another note, if the rear axle is leaking fluid at the wheel end then you need to replace the seals and the bearings.

sonds good but in the case that the locker is yard saled what do you think would be a good replacement i was thinkin like a lockright or somthing in the full lock area

If you want lunchbox locker then I suggest a Spartan locker. I have one in the front and like it, I have seem some really good reviews as well.

sonds good but in the case that the locker is yard saled what do you think would be a good replacement i was thinkin like a lockright or somthing in the full lock area

Depends on your budget and the use of your truck.

A full detroit is much better then a lunch box style.

A spool has less moving parts to go bad, but is hard on tires for a street rig.

ARB or E-Locker are a good mix but both have slight down sides.

In many cases you get what you pay for.

I run a grizzly in the rear with no problems, I drive mine almost every day.

I'm going drive flange/arb front spool rear

Dd spool eats up m/ts but if it's not a deal I'd spool it. I dd a locked f&r sami for over a year was fin , but my rears weared 2x as fast as the fronts

Full detroit for the win. I've run 3 sets of ring and pinion teeth thru mine, still works like the day I bought it.

What is a clutch pack Detroit Locker? Could you be thinking of a Detroit Gearless Locker?

That was my question as well. I'd be surprised if a Gearless survived that long. :redneck:
And if memory serves correctly, I don't think there was a Toyota application?

I had to look it up as I didn't remember them either. There were a couple of Toy 7.5" and 8" Gearless applications.