• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dewalt grinders

yup, I have a couple of em! :awesomework: not too sure bout that price tho? seems kinda steep? check out a few other places first. I got one at home cheepo, seems like they were a little cheeper, not too sure if its the same MN# tho?

The Dewalt 10amp model is pretty good but I don't like the Dewalt disks at all.

The Cheaper models at the hardware stores are just that,CHEAP! I just bought one at Ace for $40 cuz I was in a pinch. It's a POS.

Looks like not a bad deal with all of the wheels you can get. I have had mine for a long time and it still works.

Go for it and see what the freight is....... then report back

I seem to smoke through dewalts. I ruined a good model one, took it back, my dad ruined it, took it back, and now it's making sounds but working for now. I've had more luck with a frickin harbor freight grinder. I mostly use cut off wheels and sanding discs (Not sure what to call em) I never even use the thicker grinding discs/wire wheels.

I dont' mind the dewalt discs, they seem to cut good but seem to wear out fast. So far the HF ones are doing pretty good at $5 for 10 instead of ~$1.50 for 1 at lowes.

I did notice the dewalt really slices through metal vs a HF cheapy. I love the dewalt just cant seem to get them to last, thank god its got a warranty.

Same grinder without wheels is $75 at Lowes.

My DeWalt grinder died last week. I really wanted to replace it with a Metabo but I got the Dewalt for almost half the price.

I seem to smoke through dewalts. I ruined a good model one, took it back, my dad ruined it, took it back, and now it's making sounds but working for now. I've had more luck with a frickin harbor freight grinder. I mostly use cut off wheels and sanding discs (Not sure what to call em) I never even use the thicker grinding discs/wire wheels.

I dont' mind the dewalt discs, they seem to cut good but seem to wear out fast. So far the HF ones are doing pretty good at $5 for 10 instead of ~$1.50 for 1 at lowes.

I did notice the dewalt really slices through metal vs a HF cheapy. I love the dewalt just cant seem to get them to last, thank god its got a warranty.

pretty much my same experience. have gone through 3 of them but they did get heavy usage. I have had a HF on the shelf for awhile and started to use that. have not had a single problem with my HF for 6 months now. I do like dewalt for my cordless drill and impact driver. Grinder sucked ass though. very disappointed with the grinder.

Dewalts are garbage, if you use your grinders quite a bit. Your always gonna be better off buying a better tool initially, but i know how it can be forking over the money. I sell Fein grinders and the toughest thing is convincing people that it is wise to spend the extra money. Most of the time, if your choosing between a $90 dewalt and $150 metabo, you'll get probably twice the life with the metabo, making it a better value and a far better tool. Metabo is now carrying a 2 or 3 (i think?) year warranty with their grinders. Go buy a metabo and you'll be happy with it. And if you need something more heavy duty go buy a FEIN cuz they are BEASTS:D

I have a 4.5" dewalt angle.. and i work the piss out of it.. never had an issue.

like said before, I have a couple. even the cordless models, that i use for work. all of which have been doing a good job. the key is useing them as they are intended i guess?

My DeWalt grinder died last week.

If it just quit, check the brushes. Those grinders have brush stops to limit how far you can run the brushes down so not to kill the armature.

New brushes, a good cleaning with an electric motor spray and it should be good to go for awhile again.

if that's the best deal you can get, go for it. I would go for the thin cut off wheels and 40g flap wheels. As they wear down, the grit rating goes up. :;

We use these grinders at work, been using these since they came out. Before Dewalt, they where Black n Decker.
The Matbo is an OK grinder if you don't mind grinding longer, they are slow.

Back about 5 years ago (fwiw) I borrowed a buddy's dewalt grinder. It seemed to work fine when I first started using it, but it went belly up about 40 minutes after using it. I needed a grinder for the weekend, and so I went and got a Harbor Freight grinder for 15 bucks (was broke back then). I used it for EVERYTHING because I don't have a chop saw or any other metal working tools. There were days I'd use it for 6 or 7 hours in a day doing various things, and the HF grinder finally gave up the ghost about 18 months ago, so it lasted about 3.5 years. I changed the brushes in it, HF gave me new brushes for free, and it went about 6 more months. After it finally was retired, I got another $15 HF grinder, and been rockin' it out for the last year with no problems. Figured if I can get 3-4 years out of one for $15, it takes a long time to equal 1 dewalt price, and the only dewalt I used burned up in 40 minutes (probably just wierd coincidence).

I have a 4.5" dewalt angle.. and i work the piss out of it.. never had an issue.

I have noticed a trend of people that come over here and say, "hey let me see that grinder and drill" so I give them a cord and some tools. Then I notice the sound of my drills and grinder being BOGGED down so bad I can hear the tools are not happy and making more heat than progress.

I will yell, HEY BACK OFF THAT THING!!!! They then look at me like Im stupid. What gives? everybody does it too. Lots of folks that know better.

I wont even give the cordless tools to anyone vuz they just bog them down and then come find ya to tell ya that all your batteries are bad and wont charge up. Cuz they bogged and burnt **** up, thats why.

I can use a powertool till its has no bearings and brushes left. Its very easy to tell when a tool is in its perfect working load/rpm to make them last.

They will even reef on my chopsaw till it damn near stalls and barely cutting.

My chopsaw is so old I took two old sawsall brushes glued together to make one brush thick enough to get her running again. It wont be ME that puts it down for the final count, I can tell ya that.

Back off that **** mang!!!!!!

Back about 5 years ago (fwiw) I borrowed a buddy's dewalt grinder. It seemed to work fine when I first started using it, but it went belly up about 40 minutes after using it. I needed a grinder for the weekend, and so I went and got a Harbor Freight grinder for 15 bucks (was broke back then). I used it for EVERYTHING because I don't have a chop saw or any other metal working tools. There were days I'd use it for 6 or 7 hours in a day doing various things, and the HF grinder finally gave up the ghost about 18 months ago, so it lasted about 3.5 years. I changed the brushes in it, HF gave me new brushes for free, and it went about 6 more months. After it finally was retired, I got another $15 HF grinder, and been rockin' it out for the last year with no problems. Figured if I can get 3-4 years out of one for $15, it takes a long time to equal 1 dewalt price, and the only dewalt I used burned up in 40 minutes (probably just wierd coincidence).

Yeah yeah yeah, my harbor freight grinder works too. It has worked along time.

During the long time it has been working it also shakes the blood right outta my arms like a shitty weedeater.

The HF grinder I have vibrates so bad it really pisses my carpel tunnel crap off to the point I have to put it down and let my wrist calm back down.

Did I mention I need earplugs to run that HF grinder too? It screams like a asian girl doing anal.

But hey its cheap and reliable, right? :corn:

Yeah yeah yeah, my harbor freight grinder works too. It has worked along time.

During the long time it has been working it also shakes the blood right outta my arms like a shitty weedeater.

The HF grinder I have vibrates so bad it really pisses my carpel tunnel crap off to the point I have to put it down and let my wrist calm back down.

Did I mention I need earplugs to run that HF grinder too? It screams like a asian girl doing anal.

But hey its cheap and reliable, right? :corn:

I did notice this. The HF made my wrist go numb (carpal tunnel) and the dewalt is much smoother, but these dewalts can't last for ****. I was taking it easy on it and it rolled out the smoke, brushes are plenty new (grinders a few weeks old)

My bro works a titanium plant and says they blow through dewalts (abused I'm sure) I take it easy on them, I know better from being into RCs than just put my weight into it to make it work.

I'll be getting a HF one just to see how long it lasts compared to the dewalts I been through (3-4 now, dying early, not brushes either.)

For the record I have NO dewalt grinders. Only dewalt cordless tools. (they were cheap/used)

I have a Makita grinder that refuses to die.

I have killed COMMERCIAL 7 inch craftsmen brand, not the **** at sears, but the catalog one that was $260. It was the heaviest around but had massive power but died a short life of 3 years.

I have killed a Snapon 7 inch grinder too. It lasted long enough to kill the bearings after 7 years. $250 on that one.

Now Im using my backup 4 inch Makita and my spare HF grinder.

The Makita is going on its 5th year of abuse here since replacing FULL size grinders. I got the Makita as a used hand me down also.

Took me 12 years to finaly wear out my Makita sawzall too.

I have noticed a trend of people that come over here and say, "hey let me see that grinder and drill" so I give them a cord and some tools. Then I notice the sound of my drills and grinder being BOGGED down so bad I can hear the tools are not happy and making more heat than progress.

I will yell, HEY BACK OFF THAT THING!!!! They then look at me like Im stupid. What gives? everybody does it too. Lots of folks that know better.

I wont even give the cordless tools to anyone vuz they just bog them down and then come find ya to tell ya that all your batteries are bad and wont charge up. Cuz they bogged and burnt **** up, thats why.

I can use a powertool till its has no bearings and brushes left. Its very easy to tell when a tool is in its perfect working load/rpm to make them last.

They will even reef on my chopsaw till it damn near stalls and barely cutting.

My chopsaw is so old I took two old sawsall brushes glued together to make one brush thick enough to get her running again. It wont be ME that puts it down for the final count, I can tell ya that.

Back off that **** mang!!!!!!

this is very true, and then there are those people who are afraid to get into it a little bit. My buddy was helping me do some work, and was using my grinder.. he was there grinding and grinding.. i was like WTF? are you done yet? he was just spinning the wheel and barely touching the steel, I took it from him, and got into it.. (not stupid hard like you are saying) and was like, there.. thats how you use a grinder.. funny stuff.:beer: