• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diagnostic Readers

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Looking to get a decent OBD2 reader to read engine and abs codes. Dad and I both have ABS lights on that annoy the **** out of me and we've both been chasing check engine lights around with his little Bluetooth dongle and the Torque Lite app. Would really like to find something to help me get to the bottom of these problems but not break the bank. Harbor Freight has scanner for under $200 that's got really good reviews and has my interest but I thought I'd get Hardlines opinion on these.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MihlfeldL2005 said:
What are you trying to accomplish that the torque app and an obd2 dongle won't do?

Read ABS codes and Ive gotten codes that tell me I'd have a random misfire but it doesn't tell me where at and I thought I've read that some of the better scanners can actually tell you where your misfire is. I'd like something that does more than just read codes but tell me exactly whats going on to help pinpoint the problem better if that makes sense? Surely theres tools that help you do more than just read what seem to be somewhat generic engine codes?

Just realized I've been using Torque Lite and that the Pro version was only $5. Gonna try it out and see how I like it.

misfire code may just be set by the knock sensor. Not all vehicles have the capability to tell you everything.

torque pro should do anything that any other normal consumer grade scanner will.

This reads abs , engine etc. Will clear your codes as well. I keep it in my buggy. It will give you a code # then you look it up on your own. 40$ from the zone. Data logging code reader I use a snap on solus.
46ae93e748a035bfcdfde82e15da4558.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Torque pro should do just fine for you. It's going to do everything an obd2 scanner will, it won't allow you to reprogram anything though. Just read data

We have a $2,000 scanner at work and it won't pinpoint where its from, just says random misfire on the code.

I have a snap on forget which model, but some cars you can see which cylinder is missing some cars you can't.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The random miss fire code is a lil dif from a dead miss fire code. I'm sure you will fig it out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

90% of our misfire codes are coil packs replace them all if your near 100000 miles and obviously replace sparkplugs. Coil pack do what cap rotor and sparkplug wires used to do they wear out. As far as ABS most of those little code readers will not read your brake system

Re: Re: Diagnostic Readers

black said:
90% of our misfire codes are coil packs replace them all if your near 100000 miles and obviously replace sparkplugs. Coil pack do what cap rotor and sparkplug wires used to do they wear out. As far as ABS most of those little code readers will not read your brake system
Good to know. My truck just hit 90k and doesn't get driven much but it's an 04 so I know the parts are getting old and after looking at new trucks at the dealer this weekend and seeing new truck prices I'm thinking I'm gonna just start replacing **** on mine that might be getting old and try to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts