• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

did someone turn these crazy weld wheels into scrap?

thursday

So I bought a set of wheels and tires at a junkyard a week ago, basically for the tires. They are 39.5 x 16.5 pitbull rockers on 16.5 weld super singles. They were on an old 73-79 ford pickup, so naturally i figured they were 8 x 6.5 welds..bonus score. Well after dismounting the tires i took a closer look at the rims...and test fit one on my dana 60 on my yota, it fit but at first i thought the rims were ran with the lug nuts loose, the lug holes looked a little oblong. After further investigation I do believe some jackass oblonged the 8x170 superduty hub centric pattern to bolt onto the smaller 8 x 6.5" lug centric pattern. Are these rims 14" wide paper weights? I think it would be completely retarded to run them on an 8 x 6.5 pattern but what about the 8 x 170...as the rim centers on the hub bore. I measured the center bore on the rims and it measures 4.93" which i read is the hub bore for 8 x 170. I also read that weld was/is one of the few manufacturers that sells hub centric aftermarket rims.

Are these scrap? Sucks because they don't even weigh very much for aluminum value!

IMAG0013_zps5cd3659d.jpg

IMAG0014_zps8f6b3c63.jpg

IMAG0017_zps576afc49.jpg

IMAG0018_zpsba94d8da.jpg

IMAG0019_zps884e5752.jpg

Have inserts put in. Don't know what it costs, but if its worth it for the price of the wheel.... might not be worth it, but only you can make that call.

They should be able to make it metric or standard, which ever you want after the machine it for inserts.

I would say toss em, unless someone needed a full size matching spare for a superduty for emergency use only.

I wouldnt trust acorn lug nuts on older axles, and I wouldnt trust that they would be hub-centric on anything other than a superduty.

I do recall seeing offset washer adapters to turn wheels like these into what you're looking for... Then use long shanked lug nuts...

I only know that I've 'seen' them... Not what they're called or sold... I'll try to research it, they're out there... If I find what I'm thinking of I'll post it... Basically looked like an egg shaped washer with a offset hole...

Something along the lines of the offsets pictured here...

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwstore/index.php?l=product_list&c=518
http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwstore/index.php?l=product_detail&p=767:wtf:

But the ones I remember were super beefy...

Last edited:
I think you thinking of the old slotted mag wheels. They used a BEEFY chunk of metal in an oval design, with the hole offset, because the wheels could fit multiple patterns all in one design by changing the way the lugnut/bushing/washer combo went together.

I had a set on my 53 F100 when I first started driving. PAIN IN THE ASS!

Yea, that does sound like what I'm thinking of...

My question is; would those offset washers work for his application? Or would he be better off having them welded solid and drilling new holes?

I dont know. Those are superduty wheels, designed to haul a metric crap ton of load. If it were for my own personal use, then whatever. But if I were to sell them to someone (fixed or not) and they failed... well, better hope the lawyers never find you!

Are these for a wheelin rig or a DD? How long are your studs? How deep is it from the front lip of the rim down to face?

thanks for the replies guys. Actually i had no intentions of running these rims, even before i discovered the screwed up holes. They are way too offset and wide for my liking, the lip measures 9" to the face of the center. They are 14 inches wide and have somewhere around a 4" backspacing. I wanted to sell them, but i just don't feel right pawning these off on someone...if i can get 125 or so for scrap then that is great, i was going to ask around 150 for the rims before i found out about the lugs...as they are a very unique size that i don't think many people would be interested in. I just felt a little crappy scrapping 4 great looking weld wheels :(

heres the discontinued wheel on summit (wrong bolt pattern)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wld-258-654700

Be good bases for some coffee or end tables. Or make some nice bar stool pedestals out of them.

Last edited:
How much did you pay for the set?

If I read your first post right you just picked up a set of 39.5 rockers at a JUNKYARD and the downside is the wheels are scrap.

Long as all the tires hold air and have enough tread (which they look like they do) to still at least be able to maybe groove more life into them thats still a AWESOME grab from a junkyard. IDK how much you paid for the whole set but i wouldnt be sweating scrapping or finding a way of reusing a set of junkyard wheels....

exactly, i paid 500 bucks for the set because i wanted the tires, planned on getting around 200 for the rims (before the discovery of the lugs)...the pitbulls are in good shape so i'm in the clear....theres someone interested in the rims that has the ability to repair them so i think i have it figured out. Thanks guys!