• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel Shop for VE pump?

Horus

I have a 91 Dodge tow rig that began going to **** on the way home from wheeling. Awhile ago I performed a "top seal" when it started leaking from the vent tube and causing the same symptoms I'm seeing now. It worked for several months but has begun leaking again.

I'd like to have the pump professionally rebuilt this time. Curious as to what or who is out there that knows their **** regarding the VE injection pump. I already have gone back and forth with H&H Diesel about it and $995 seems a little steep for what is essentially a three hour job and $25 in parts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for people or shops I could try?

diesel outfitters (360) 386-9608 in Smokey point they work on my 93 dodge all the time Mike is a great guy and knows all about 1st gen's

If you're willing to ship or drive and want a quality personal and professional service:
He's a one man show that will do anything automotive but his forte is diesel pumps. He's not a performance shop!
Toms Quality Service (509) 457-6763
609 N. 20th Ave
Yakima

I'm going through the same thing right now except mine is the 24v motor and my pump has completly failed. H&H is supposed to be a good shop. A few of the shops I have talked to send their pumps to H&H for a rebuild. The Power Shop in Enumclaw has stuff on shelf that they don't show on their website, might be worth a call. Blue Chip Diesel has a ton of info on their website but I can't remember if they delt with the older pumps. Let me know if you find a good shop, I'm still trying to source a pump for mine.

H&H doesn't have a very good track record for pumps nowadays.

Really! I got my parts from them when I resealed the upper portion of my pump. They certainly had great customer service. Enough so that they were my first call this time.

Thanks for the other leads guys. I'll call them tomorrow.

3 hours of skilled time in a specialty shop can be spendy...
sure a guy can do a quickly tear down, clean and reassemble , or, a knowledgeable shop can tear down, clean measure , inspect, and reassemble (and tune) .... you get what you pay for alot of times...

if ya want a quicky idea of what the reassembly looks like,
http://gnarlodious.com/vanagon/bosch_pump/-Rebuild
http://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/who-wants-a-ve-tear-down-overhaul-how-to/
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-tech-articles/82439-ve-rebuild-pics-look-inside.html

the last one go's more in depth on mods etc...

RPM Northwest 253-820-3920 Scott is his name. Located in Puyallup. Does great diesel work.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

I would go north. Evergreen Diesel, DKDiesel, Diesel outfitters have all done good things with the 2nd and 3rd gens. I honestly don't know how much they've done with the 1st gens, you'd have to call and ask. Unless you wanted to send it out of state. There's not a lot of market requiring the knowledge, so there aren't a lot around. Some are diehard VE pump guys though. The local shop stopped using H&H because of too many issues. Their new source seems to be working out well, but I can't remember who that is off the top of my head.

RPM northwest deals mainly with Fords, and I doubt they've even touched a VE pump before.

Hey Mike call diesel doctors in enumclaw, the old man in there is a cummins feak, its the only small diesel he'll work on lol,

I would go north. Evergreen Diesel, DKDiesel, Diesel outfitters have all done good things with the 2nd and 3rd gens. I honestly don't know how much they've done with the 1st gens, you'd have to call and ask. Unless you wanted to send it out of state. There's not a lot of market requiring the knowledge, so there aren't a lot around. Some are diehard VE pump guys though. The local shop stopped using H&H because of too many issues. Their new source seems to be working out well, but I can't remember who that is off the top of my head.

RPM northwest deals mainly with Fords, and I doubt they've even touched a VE pump before.

DKDiesel is a really great shop my neighbor works there, great company always trying to improve to meet customer demands. all around great shop. http://www.dkdiesel.com/ their website 1-360-815-2098 the shop number

$100 says any of the shops listed are just going to farm it out.
and i hate to say it, but i bet you kno where its being shipped to...

I know you don't have a vp44 but the last shop I worked at we would use H&H. Customers would complain of a lack of power after there pumps were done.

$100 says any of the shops listed are just going to farm it out.
and i hate to say it, but i bet you kno where its being shipped to...

Not sure about DK diesel...but Northland Diesel just around the corner from DK DOES rebuild all their pumps in house...:awesomework:

I wanted to take this opportunity to invite Jeff and the NW Wheelers down to the shop to check us out! We are located right next to Perkins Performance. While we did start out as a mainly Ford shop however over the last 5 years we have developed a pretty even cross section of work in all brands of light and medium duty diesels. Including Cummins conversions. I myself have owned a few Power strokes, a 6.5 and Dmax, and am currently daily driving a 96 12v with a stick.

Yes we can take care of your pump :)

Thanks for all the leads and help guys. After reading into what comprises a full rebuild I've discovered that when I rebuilt the top (what 1st gen owners refer to as a "top seal") I basically rebuilt 80% of the whole pump. Aside from the main seal behind the drive gear the rest of the pump (bottom half) is just hard parts. Very rare to have issues there.

I modified the AFC on my pump top which fixed a major fueling issue I was apparently having. Gotta love mechanical 12 valve Cummins motors. Drilled and tapped one hole and replaced a leaky factory line with Parker Pushlock fittings and nylon hose. 10 more pounds of boost and a solid seat-of-the-pants gain for $8. I have not been able to get the weird defueling issue to repeat since. If it continues to leak I will rebuild the pump again myself. This time I will use a genuine Bosch kit ($25).

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the leads and help guys. After reading into what comprises a full rebuild I've discovered that when I rebuilt the top (what 1st gen owners refer to as a "top seal") I basically rebuilt 80% of the whole pump. Aside from the main seal behind the drive gear the rest of the pump (bottom half) is just hard parts. Very rare to have issues there.

I modified the AFC on my pump top which fixed a major fueling issue I was apparently having. Gotta love mechanical 12 valve Cummins motors. Drilled and tapped one hole and replaced a leaky factory line with Parker Pushlock fittings and nylon hose. 10 more pounds of boost and a solid seat-of-the-pants gain for $8. I have not been able to get the weird defueling issue to repeat since. If it continues to leak I will rebuild the pump again myself. This time I will use a genuine Bosch kit ($25).

Thanks again.

:awesomework: