• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Difference between metal and wood chop saws?

Yup, I used my Dewalt one for years like that, just make sure it doesn't have a bunch of plastic parts anywhere near where it throws sparks, it will melt. :redneck: I'm pretty sure the chopsaw Nick uses is just a standard Delta wood chopsaw.

NO

If you need to borrow one or the other for a small project just ask. to many plastic parts on todays wood chopsaws .
YES

Nah sayers! Don't cut so frequent to melt the plastic.
I've got a couple set up like that. One Miliwaulkee, & one Makita, neither of them have too many plastic parts anyway. But, they work good.
I also have a metal chop saw, & one difference, besides the all metal construction, is the speed vice to anchor you're material.
If that's all you got, for it.

Why not just get the right tools?

Nothing wrong with getting more tools.

I bought a nice MILWAUKIE (sp?) chop saw here for $40.

Keep your eye open on CL.

Plus good luck finding a wood chop saw that has a 14 inch disc/blade. I could not imagine using a 8-10-12 inch disc. A new one would be like a used up 14 incher.

Not only that, the wood chop saws cost more. But the anchor/vise/clamp on the metal ones usually suck. I use a speed square on my dewalt metal chop saw to get consistent and correct angles.

I think a clarification should be made - the OP is looking for a steel cut-off saw I assume. You can use a standard chop saw to cut aluminum all day long. A better blade would improve it, but it still functions fine.

I'd be concerned (keep my on) the aluminum hinges etc on any chop saw used for cutting metalics (aluminum or steel). I watched a guy in our shop at work cutting aluminum with a Dewalt 12" from Home Depot. He was about half way through the cut when the hinge failed (it had been in use in our shop for about 2 years, used daily for that same application). The direction of the blade caused the saw (still running with his hand clutching the handle) to come straight out at him. The only thing that save him from any kind of injury is that just the previous day someone had shortened up the power cord and it pulled out of the socket.

I've never heard of that occuring to anyone prior, and the industrial version we replaced it with worked fine for another 4 years before we finally got a good band saw (couldnt justify the cost of a cold saw).

I have been useing a 10" makita miter chop saw with slide for years. I just swapped out the metal blade for a skinny wheel and BAM! Best $75 craigslist find!

Yes the plastic has melted in a few areas but still works well.

I used a wood chop saw to cut some aluminum pucks for a body lift. It made through about 6-8 cuts and the metal dust destroyed the motor. Some wood saws do not have sealed motors, there were sparks and fire for a second. :wtf:

The metal cutting "Dry Cut" saws (the ones that use a toothed, carbide blade for cutting steel) are build heavier and turn slower. And a previously mentioned have little to no plastic parts. *I* would be very hesitant to use a toothed metal blade on a wood chop saw, even though it would be really nice to have the miter ability. I also would be VERY hesitant to be holding the piece of steel while I'm cutting it. Besides the hot metal fragments flying around, I've had the teeth catch the steel and rip it out of the vice. Also took a couple teeth off the blade.... wouldn't want my hands anywhere near that.

If your talking an abrasive blade, it would probably work, but the saw would be short lived. Bottom line, there is a reason Metal Cutting, Abrasive and Wood saws have their own tools....

with an abrasive blade go for it. I have an old all metal Makita I use for steel with an abrasive blade its fine. I don't know I would use a plastic saw because of the heat its going to put off.

If you are talking a carbide blade for steel you can not use a wood chop saw it turns way to fast and you are either going to get hurt, ruin your saw/blade or hurt someone else it shouldn't even be an option.

I use a regular wood saw at work everyday for cutting aluminum, but that is a whole different story there due the lower tensile strength if aluminum and we use a blade that has a high number of teeth with a blade designed for aluminum.