• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Digital dash

J1939 is the standard in the transportation industry.
Caterpillar even uses it as a backup to their main data link, can bus. It's a good setup.

Ill have to mess with Torque some more, but even when using the custom PID posted above, it doesnt work on my 2001 ecm.

Ok so I got the tablet a ten in one the app and the blue tooth obd device. And am looking at ram mounts as a possible solution to hold the unit. Anyone have any experience or other recommendations.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rmi-1722?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-ram-mounts&gclid=CjwKCAiAz-7UBRBAEiwAVrz-9cjI1ANuycVadiZH-sHK3qtf_aLvoLwUq7yFYUlABC3pmpdmYSVDnhoCk1oQAvD_BwE

On another note the app is awesome. But I can't find a guage for oil pressure. I see temp but not pressure? Is this not a feature?

Waffle said:
What about water/moisture & dust intrusion in a buggy? Seems to me like that would be a big issue with a tablet and the only reason I never gave this option much thought. That and shock loads. Aren't the rugged versions big $$?

I got a water and dust proof unit on ebay for 65bucks

SBJeepn said:
On another note the app is awesome. But I can't find a guage for oil pressure. I see temp but not pressure? Is this not a feature?

Check out my posts above. You have to create a new customer pid using the parameters listed.

What about the refresh rate ? Is it good enough to be used a a main gage in your opinion ?

Most of the wireless devices I've used have a very low rate, like 5Hz and it sucks for readability.

Bebop said:
What about the refresh rate ? Is it good enough to be used a a main gage in your opinion ?

Most of the wireless devices I've used have a very low rate, like 5Hz and it sucks for readability.

Not 100 % sure but I think there are different refresh rates for different sensors. I noticed on my display next to the digital readout there is a small green circle that flashes. It does not flash at the same rate for all the displays, this leads me to believe it is the refresh rate. Engine rpm seemed to flash faster than coolant temp. If you peg the throttle from an idle there is a very very small delay on the tach but not much.

This may be a sill question but the obd reader has a power button and is on when you press it on and off when you turn it off and gets its power from the computer which has to be plugged into constant hot source. I realize I can just turn it off at night but am more concerned about the kids if they leave it on will it drain the battery very quick? I wish the bluetooth had a keyed on like the reader on my diesel ford to turn it off and on with the ignition.

I can't see any reason at all that you couldn't wire a relay into the hot wire of the obd port

My biggest question. When you power off the buggy and tablet, does it come back on to the gauges, or do you have to do anything other than open the app?

paradisepwoffrd said:
My biggest question. When you power off the buggy and tablet, does it come back on to the gauges, or do you have to do anything other than open the app?
I have power to the OBD2 diagnostic port wired in with my switched B+ to the ECM. When the switch is off the dongle looses power as well.
There are settings within the app for the tablet to be looking for the dongle via bluetooth and going in sleep mode when the switch is off. If the switch is turned back on the tablet comes out of sleep mode and app is restarted.
So to answer the question. Yes it comes back on as gauges without reopening the app. Unless the tablet is turned completely off.

I also have a 12v usb charger wiring in to have power when the switch is on as well so this may be affecting the tablet going into sleep mode.
Regardless works very well, my only issue now is I can't datalog using HPTuners and the dongle/torque app at the same time. I may add a second diagnostic port and see if it would work or if there would be too much traffic on a data wires.

There is also a torque widget where you can plant your guages on the home screen of the tablet then everytime the tablet is on they come up auto as long as your tablet is set to link automatically via bluetooth.

wizzo said:
RustyC - any luck with trans temp ?

I have not been able to pursue it any further yet but I think if a coolant temp sensor was used in a trans the displayed trans temp it would be very close up to 300*F and at that point you are already cooking the trans so..
Need to get back onto this. LS coolant temp sender and bung for trans can't be too much coin.

What dongle are y'all running. The one I bought won't connect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can check later. Think it was $30 or so on ebay. Also had a pin code of 1234 to connect if I remember.

I've had it to connect once to my phone, but never to my tablet.
I would appreciate it if you could look.