• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dirtbike street legal?

good luck

i have a motorcycle shop here in walla walla and we get quite a few people asking about converting dirtbikes to be street legal dual sports. i have an 07 cr250 and do a lot of trail riding and it would be nice to have a plate so i wouldnt get hassled on the dirt roads if i make a big trail/dirt road loop. (technically you cant ride on a maintained dirt road if your not on a street legal bike $150 fine here) its just about impossable to do now days, you can sell it to a friend in another state (montana has a self inspection and they give you a permanent plate) but your title as i understand will still say offroad only. the new KTM's (non EXC's) can be plated if it is done at the dealership. lemme know how it goes, as i am interested in this topic and would like to see more hard facts on whats possible. if you dont get the thing legalized and you wanna sell it lemme know, im looking for a KX or CR 500 to put an extended swingarm on and make into a hillclimb bike. DT

I thought the new EXC's were still street legal? I rode with a guy a couple weekends ago that had a plate on his new 530 EXCR. His was really honest street legal though, had turn signals and everything.

sorry, I meant any KTM dirt bike could be converted that wasnt already street legal. honda, yamaha, kawi, and suzuki bikes have had off road branded titles for a while but KTM still just had regular motorcycle titles so they werent a problem to get plates for. The EXC's have always been true dual sports with plates from the dealership.

Somebody say street legal EXC ??? Bowaahaahaaa!!!

Just had the boingers revalved by Pro Race in Goldbar. Thanks Chad; gobbles up root ladders now like a Rotweiller on a Rump Roast!!

IMG_0761.jpg

Somebody say street legal EXC ??? Bowaahaahaaa!!!

Just had the boingers revalved by Pro Race in Goldbar. Thanks Chad; gobbles up root ladders now like a Rotweiller on a Rump Roast!!

HMMMM who is this ProRace Chad you speak of???:eeek:

My Boinger needs some attention....:masturbanana[1]: (errr that's enough of that)

Also I would like to get my forks and shock ''tuned'':awesomework:

I've been oogleing those dirt worthy dual sports for awhile now.

A few months ago I picked up a '94 KLX250R (enduro bike not street legal).

It's a fun bike but needs a few odds and ends.

After my title came in the mail, I noted ORV clearly stated on the title. Since what I really wanted was a dual sport, and Kawasaki currently makes the KLX250 and sells it as a factory dual sport, I decided to walk into the locall licensing agency and "see about getting a plate".

Well to my suprise, I was actually successfull!

The person at the counter asked me if the bike was street legal (I am now currently working on this), to which I ansered "yes". I signed paperwork to that affect. Then she was able to enter my info into the computer, and I walked out with a plate. It seems the key to this was the fact that the phrase "not for highway use" did not appear on my title.

So, my budget dual sport build is currently underway.

:wtf: :scratchhead: :rolleyes:

um the suzuki DRZ400 has had an electric fan since it's first year in production and I am sure there are others...

Sorry, I don't run with the dual sport crowd. DRZ's are a rare sight where I ride, and the last one I saw had no fan.

Iride a 2005 ktm 525 sx and on the title it says orange where my buddys honda title says offroad.all i have to do is put proper equip. on it and it can be converted no prob.according to state patrol :awesomework:

I've got a 99 XR400 thats street legal with a plate. It was done before I bought so I have a street bike title. I have ridin it past lost of cops without a mirror and never got pulled over. I do have one flip up mirror (I can't see anything out of it) but I flip it up now that I have it. I got my old XR250 plated by dual registering.

I would love to street legal my KX500, It would be nice to have a 223lb 70hp dirtbike on the street. :awesomework:

even if youre able to get a plate for any true dirt bike its not going to last long riding on the street/highway. the oiling systems on those bikes just cant keep up with the demand of extended high RPM's.

even if youre able to get a plate for any true dirt bike its not going to last long riding on the street/highway. the oiling systems on those bikes just cant keep up with the demand of extended high RPM's.

Not the case with everything. The hot rod water coolers maybe (I know the 450X was found to not be such a great dual sport candidate), but they made street versions of the XR250 and 400.

Not the case with everything. The hot rod water coolers maybe (I know the 450X was found to not be such a great dual sport candidate), but they made street versions of the XR250 and 400.

The XR400 was made avail street legal in lots of other countrys just not the US. The XR400 holds over 2qts of oil so I never sweat it. :redneck:

Last edited:
yeah, thats why I said any true dirt bike. they just dont hold enough oil.

The oiling is not a issue at all. If it was all your weed eaters, chains saws,boat motors ect....would all die at wide open thottle. If it was tuned lean and you ran a **** oil and a bad mix ratio and wrong plug for you motor, then you could have issues.

The bike only runs on 110 octane fuel that runs extremely cooler than pump gas

So......does anyone really know exactly how to get my 500 street legal?

Last edited: