• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Discussion topic - roll cage padding

Good seats and proper cage design go a long way. Thats why I had my cage designed the way it is on the new rig (thanks Andy) for the average wheeler a decent lap belt is just fine. For those that like to push the edge a bit then you cant have to much protection. (padding harness, seats) best thing to do is keep yourself from hitting anything hard if you do take a tumble. I dont plan on putting any padding on the new rig as its not needed :awesomework:
I agree. I made sure I wouldn't hit my head when I made my roll cage. Then again, I don't plan on trying it out.

Last edited:
I agree. I made sure I wouldn't hit my head when I made my roll cage. Then again, I don't plan on trying it out.

I'm sure no one ever wants to try the cage out, but it is really only a matter of time till everyone tries their cage out. No matter if you have padding or not, it's only a matter of when you roll/flop not if.

I'm sure no one ever wants to try the cage out, but it is really only a matter of time till everyone tries their cage out. No matter if you have padding or not, it's only a matter of when you roll/flop not if.

The really bad part is you never think it is going to roll until about 5 seconds after it happens.....:scratchhead:

I didn't wack my head on this roll, but I was wearing the stock seatbelt. I kinda just got into Biking so I ended up buying a helmet that was universal for biking and wheeling. Ended up getting one of those extreme sports open face heltmet.

Last edited:
Let me be an advocate for roll cage padding...yes helmets are a good idea but unless you are going to wear them all the time then the padding is a good backup.

This happened when we rolled on a flat logging road on our way to the Crushers in TSF

Tillamook06117.jpg

Smacked my head against the cage and got knocked out

I see some wear bicycle helmets,but that just seem to give you much protection.I keep a skateboard helmet on board all the time when im up at moon and funny rocks and use it before I attempt any rock crawlin.Skateboard helmet gives more side and back of the melon protection and is light and vented.

I just wear the lap belt in Chris's buggy, because the shoulder straps are broken. If he is going to do something that seems risky, I just get out and watch. He said he will buy new, better 5-point harnesses soon so I won't have to get out as much :D

I wear my 5-points 100% of the time. I wear my helmet 50% of the time. It should be 100% but I'll admit the "I'm not going to do anything crazy" thought comes to mind often......and then I go out, bombing on the FS roads, doing cyclone donuts, etc. :rolleyes: DUMBASS!

The one issue I've realized is your extremities need protection also. Knees and elbows. I smacked them both on my last two hard rolls. I'll be fixing that issue soon with some more properly placed padding.

And for those that are stating "the padding will get ripped up".....well ya, if you mount it in a full circle around the tube, but........you know, the padding only has to go on the INSIDE of the tube. Some nice velcro on the inside of the padding, mounted to the inside of the cage........and volia! :;

Of course, a helmet is best.

All roll cage padding is not created equally. Most is worthless for preventing head injury.

Late model jeep wranglers come with a very hard crushable foam on the roll bars that is similar to the padding inside a motorcycle helmet.

I suspect this stuff can be had used, seems like the best stuff to me.

I run cage padding with the offset hole so its thicker to your head. My cage is a good bit away from my head so I'd have to get really stupid to have a chance of hitting my head on it.... I run the lap belt most of the time but the 5 points go on for anything that may result in more than a flop.

Last edited:
i was even amazed at the fact that all the kids that rode in my jeep had absolutly no problem wearing a helmut. in fact they thought it was kinda cool.

If funny/and a good thing how the kids these days think helmets are cool! When I was young a helmet was what you took off as soon as you where out of sight of your house! :rolleyes:

As far as this tread topic go's, I will own a helmet within the next couple weeks! And I just ride bitch:redneck:

Latest posts